News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 - getting slower and slower

Started by NigeNigeNige, 16:05, 24 September 22

Previous topic - Next topic

NigeNigeNige

Hi, I've been restoring a very dirty 464 I bought a few weeks ago. I'm hitting an issue where it seems to be slowing down - on poweron I get a blue border and background and yellow text. The Amstrad 64K (etc) text prints incredibly slowly. This issue started a few days ago but has got much worse. Does anyone know what it could be?

Additionally when I could get to the Ready prompt, pressing Del would cause a beep, but it was shorter than normal, more of a "bip" than a beep.

Thanks for any help.
CPC 464, CTM 644, USIfAC II, 512K RAM/ROM, FD1 & DD1, mouse, Multiface II

Bryce

Sounds like your Gate array isn't feeling well. Have you another one to try?

Bryce.

NigeNigeNige

No unfortunately I don't. Are there any tests I can do to verify this before I try to obtain one? I have a multimeter but not a scope.

NigeNigeNige

I think you are correct. The computer runs a little faster if I put some pressure on the 40010.

Bryce

Then remove the Gate Array, clean the contacts in the socket and the pins of the chip and try it again.

Bryce.

NigeNigeNige

Unfortunately I've been a little over-vigorous with one of the socket's pin springs/retainers and when trying to bend it back into place it has snapped off.  :doh:

Will I have to replace the whole socket?

Bryce

NigeNigeNige

I've replaced the board with another while I wait for sockets to arrive and give me a great opportunity to learn how to solder and desolder.

This new board + gate array seems fine. Now I have an issue with tape loading - the tape plays, I can hear the sound from the tape which is steady and not wobbling, but it's playing too fast so won't load. 

Up to this point I've:
  • Changed the main belt (and ensured it's not twisted)
  • Changed the idler tyre 
  • Cleaned then lightly sanded the pinch roller as it was shiny
  • Cleaned heads with IPA

Any advice much appreciated

Bryce

Well unfortunately you don't say what tape you're trying to load. There are tapes with speedload that sound "faster". So what tape are you actually trying to load?
A good test for speed is to put an old music tape in the tapedeck and check if the music sounds too fast.

More likely it's just the azimuth that is out of alignment. So you may just need to adjust that.

Bryce.

NigeNigeNige

I'm using an original release of Gauntlet.

Trying with a music tape I could hardly hear it even with the volume on full. There is noise in the background (affected by the volume control) which seems to be coming from the tape motor. 

NigeNigeNige

Update: I bought a demagnetizer and used it on the tape heads and roller. This improved things to the extent that Gauntlet will now load!

Get Dexter won't however. I will fiddle with the azimuth.