News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

cpc464 not booting, but was before.

Started by Novabug, 14:18, 05 October 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Novabug

Hey guys, bit of issue which I'm gutted about.

Was using my fully working 464, when suddenly it reset during a game and crashed. I switched off and back on, only to be greeted with a screen full of graphic jumble. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152418150025028&set=gm.10152415212837058&type=1&theater

Sometimes, it displays the first lines of the start screen, without the BASIC prompt, and doesn't respond at all.

It has been suggested this maybe a number of things.... The gate array, the RAM chips or even the Z80. I have re-seated the gate array with no effect. Checked the power switch and checked the monitor with my other cpc. That works fine. What could this be?

The pcb is clean, chips are not warming up and the caps are not swollen. I can swap the Z80 to test, but it that don't work I'm stumped.

Bryce

Hi Novabug,
      I'd say a RAM has failed.

Bryce.

Novabug

Quote from: Bryce on 14:24, 05 October 14
Hi Novabug,
      I'd say a RAM has failed.

Bryce.

That was my first thought too, but I can't seem to identify which one or more are heating up. they all seem pretty cool after about 5 minutes switched on. Don't like to leave it on for long in this state however.

Bryce

Broken RAMs don't always get hotter.

Bryce.

Novabug

Quote from: Bryce on 15:55, 05 October 14
Broken RAMs don't always get hotter.

Bryce.

so I have no way of knowing which one? agrh, these 2 cpc's are doing my nut in. lol

Novabug

I have access to 15 4264-15 RAM chips out of a 6128. Are they suitable replacments for the 4164-15's that are in it already?

Devilmarkus

When you remove the BASIC ROM in an emulator, the same problem happens...
So, perhaps the ROM is corrupt?
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

Na, that's too random. I'd clean the power switch contacts first. That looks like a "Brown-out" or power problem. Disconnect the power switch wire from the PCB, bridge the contacts with a jumper and see if it boots then.

Bryce.

Novabug

Bypass the power switch essentially then? I'll try that.

Bryce

Quote from: Novabug on 23:36, 16 October 14
Bypass the power switch essentially then? I'll try that.

Exactly.

Bryce.

Novabug

Done. No effect. Still randomly display graphic mess, sometimes with a flashing ready screen. :(

Bryce

Hmm, ok. What measurement equipment do you have? Can you measure what voltage is on the 5V rail?

Bryce.

Novabug

I have a pretty decent multimetre which I can adjust to low voltage DC. Another thing, the solders on the input jack look a little dry. This could be a factor? I also have tried 3 differing power supplies (2 monitors and a av adapter) with the same result.

Bryce

Yes, dry joints will cause problems of course, give them a re-flow.

Bryce.

Novabug

Completely re-seated the input jack. Brand new solder. Still the same result. I did a long session of switching on and off and sometimes, the start screen appears stable, but without Ready prompt or curser. Beginning to think this might be the ROM after all.

Bryce

It might be, but the randomness of it points at a power problem. How's the main electrolytic capacitor looking?

Bryce.

Novabug

Large blue one by the MB connector? Looks sound, not puffed and solders are clean. Trying to find a ROM chip at the moment. AmsDOS 40015. Is that right?

Bryce

AmsDOS is the floppy firmware. It's more likely that the Firmware/Basic ROM is dodgy. You don't need to source an original, you can burn the image to any 32K EPROM.

Bryce.

Novabug

I don't have the facilities to do that mate. I would much rather replace the chip if possible. I guess a 40009 would be a straight replacement?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Novabug on 22:06, 20 October 14
I don't have the facilities to do that mate. I would much rather replace the chip if possible. I guess a 40009 would be a straight replacement?
I can burn one for you if you need one, I have a Eprom Programmer and some spare eproms... I might even have a spare around here. One of my 6128plus machines has a Dual Bios in it that boots to Mode 2 and a different font. I plan on reprogramming this to make the alternate OS FW3.15 at some point

Not got around to that yet tho

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Novabug

I appreciate the offer mate, may take you up on that it's I find I'm getting nowhere with a replacement.

Looking on picking up to salvaged 464's at the moment, to see if I can somehow cobble together a working one. ha

CraigsBar

No worries, these are my originals.

2x ams40025 (6128 fw&basic)
3x ams40015 (amsdos)

And I can of course flash burn anything you need.

Craig

CraigsBar

Novabug

So, after messing around with the firmware chip. Nothing worked. So I just replaced the entire pcb with a loose one I found on Ebay. Works a treat. Will be taking the AY and 74LS off to put in my other CPC, the rest of the board is up for grabs. Free of course, just postage.

Not sure what the actual problem is, but the CPU works at least. I may be a faultly ROM or Ram chip. Thanks for the help and guidance though guys.