CPC464 Works well BUT NO DEL Beep ? ( FIXED FINALLY )

Started by Audronic, 07:03, 31 December 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

Hi all

CPC464 Works well BUT NO DEL Beep ?

A strange one.
The CPC464 works normally .
Keyboard shows all the characters.
I can hear the Tape sounds as its loading.

BUT when on a new line I press the DEL key NO Beep ??
Also if I use the arrow keys and get to the end of a line NO BEEPS
Also No sound from Chuckie EGG

??     AY-3-8912 Sound generator  ??

Thanks.   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

Hi All

Ok it is not the AY-3-8912, I found a spare in the cupboard.

8255 ??? or what else ?

Thanks.   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

llopis

I would guess the cable with the sound is broken somewhere. The signal goes in the cable that connects the cassette. Sometimes those cables rub against the edge of the cassette PCB and they wear out (or it could even be a bad solder joint--they seem to be really bad in the cassette area for some reason). I believe you still hear the cassette loading because that comes from a different path.

Bryce

The amplifier for the AY is on the tapedeck PCB but it's only a single trace (the three channels are already mixed into one). Check the trace from where they get mixed (R114, 115, 116) to the tapedeck connector (second last pin from the bottom) and then through the wire until it gets to the amplifiers input capacitor (C314). Continuity checks after that point aren't possible as the capacitor will block DC. With a scope you should be able to check how far the the sound signal is getting. Its destination is pin 12 of IC302 (LA5324).

Bryce.

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

@Bryce

Ok Thanks for the tips.
I plugged in a Dandanator which instantly plays Music.
An excellent tool to trace the audio signal.
I have audio at the pin G - (7) so the problem is in the Tape deck.
any way small progress

Thanks.   Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

Bryce

Quote from: Audronic on 04:19, 04 January 19
@Bryce

Ok Thanks for the tips.
I plugged in a Dandanator which instantly plays Music.
An excellent tool to trace the audio signal.
I have audio at the pin G - (7) so the problem is in the Tape deck.
any way small progress

Thanks.   Ray

Cool. Where did you get that picture from? It's wrong, the schematics aren't wrong. Pin F-6 is not connected on early 464's, but it's connected to the 5V rail on later 464's, so both versions are possible. The schematics only reflect the early versions.

Bryce.

Audronic

@Bryce

The info came from the Original Service manual, and then the Amended Service Manual which appears to be correct.
The Original indicates that F-6 is at GROUND potential On the board that I am working on its at +5 Volts ? (amended schematic)

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Bryce

Oh, then it's GND on the early versions, not N.C. Both versions definitely exist, I have encountered both over the years.

Bryce.

Audronic

@Bryce

Ok Thanks for that I will make sure I check on the Next 464 that I have to work on.

The board I am working on is :-  Z70200 (Old Board). MC0002b with + 5 Volts on Pin F-6

Thanks.   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

@Bryce

I have a photo of the 5 Resistors that had HAIRLINE cracks before I moved them with a screwdriver. Arghhhhh
it look like something dropped on the board.
The Other 5 Are OK

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

Hi All

Replaced the Resistors it now WORKS.

Thanks for your interest.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Bryce

Doh! What a pain. The board must have got seriously flexed at that point to crack them all.

Bryce.