News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC6128 !

Started by squale, 11:49, 24 October 14

Previous topic - Next topic

squale

Concerning the 3.5" floppy drives, is any PC model will suit the CPC ?
What about slim ones ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CPC6128 (not working atm) + CTM644 + Zipstik + Competition Pro :)

Bryce

Any, but better to get one that you can get a ready signal from. Slim ones are ok too.

Bryce.

squale

Thx Bryce, that ready signal is useful for what ? How to know if its present ?

My idea is to replace the 3" with a 3,5" without trashing my 6128.

Bryce

Quote from: squale on 10:11, 06 November 14
Thx Bryce, that ready signal is useful for what ? How to know of its present ?

My idea is to replace the 3" with a 3,5" without trashing my 6128.

The ready signal lets the CPC know if a disk is in the drive or not. You can permamnently set the ready signal, but that messes up some software, so it's better to get a drive that has this signal available and switches the signal only when a disk is really in the drive.

Bryce.

squale

Quote from: Bryce on 11:53, 24 October 14
Hi squale and welcome,
      Not good news unfortunately. If it's asking for a tape without you having typed |Tape beforehand, then either ROM 7 has failed or the FDC has failed. (My money is on ROM 7). Maybe you need to open it up and see if the previous owner has modified it at all.
All easily fixable luckily.
Try typing other ROM 7 commands (like |B for example). If it says unknown command, then ROM 7 is dodgy.

Bryce.

Hi Bryce,

I just tried and indeed ¦B command outputs "unknown command", I just got an original AMDOS and a PARADOS (thx to Craig) will try them as soon as I will get a din28 socket as my ROM7 is soldered.

Btw my CPC is a Qwerty one with all written in English on it, but I have Centronics connectors & the metal shield.  It does not appear to have been opened before.. Does this exist ?

Can I throw out that metal shield ?

Do you know what is the little 'clic' I heard when I have the message to insert a tape and press a key ? Is it a kind of relay ?

Thank you !!

Bryce

All 6128s had Centronics, not just the German ones.

The click you heard is the relay that actuates an external tape recorder with "Remote".

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: squale on 21:33, 06 November 14
Hi Bryce,

I just tried and indeed ¦B command outputs "unknown command", I just got an original AMDOS and a PARADOS (thx to Craig) will try them as soon as I will get a din28 socket as my ROM7 is soldered.

Btw my CPC is a Qwerty one with all written in English on it, but I have Centronics connectors & the metal shield.  It does not appear to have been opened before.. Does this exist ?

Can I throw out that metal shield ?

Do you know what is the little 'clic' I heard when I have the message to insert a tape and press a key ? Is it a kind of relay ?

Thank you !!

Exactly, it's the relay for the tape remote and yes it clicks quite loudly on CPC 6128's

some demos and games even use it to be a drum beat... possibly not the best for the relay but I am not aware of any breakages.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 21:57, 06 November 14
All 6128s had Centronics, not just the German ones.

The click you heard is the relay that actuates an external tape recorder with "Remote".

Bryce.
The UK ones had edge connectors just like the cpc 664 and 464. Only the plus range incorporated centronics for all models.

Craig

squale

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:01, 06 November 14
The UK ones had edge connectors just like the cpc 664 and 464. Only the plus range incorporated centronics for all models.

Craig

I do not know which one I have it has centronics (not edge) and qwerty layout / english text on the cover.. I heard it was only German Schneiders that have it ?

CraigsBar

Quote from: squale on 22:03, 06 November 14
I do not know which one I have it has centronics (not edge) and qwerty layout / english text on the cover.. I heard it was only German Schneiders that have it ?
My Schneider CPC 6128 matches that description too.

squale

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:05, 06 November 14
My Schneider CPC 6128 matches that description too.

Yes but mine's not a Schneider lol

Bryce

Wow, there are edge 6128s (just checked the Wiki Mainboard Gallery). I have 2 Qwerty 6128s and both have centronics, so I assumed they were all that way.

Bryce.

squale

Quote from: Bryce on 22:10, 06 November 14
Wow, there are edge 6128s (just checked the Wiki Mainboard Gallery). I have 2 Qwerty 6128s and both have centronics, so I assumed they were all that way.

Bryce.

Yes that's why I was asking  :)

So I understand that mine is ok not a kind of mix of parts.

Do you know if the metal shield is of any use ? Mine is a bit rusty I am not too fan of it  !!

Bryce

Quote from: squale on 22:16, 06 November 14
Yes that's why I was asking  :)

So I understand that mine is ok not a kind of mix of parts.

Do you know if the metal shield is of any use ? Mine is a bit rusty I am not too fan of it  !!

I always get rid of the shields (not just in CPCs). They cut your hands to shreds when you work on them, they look ugly, make the computer heavy and are pretty much useless.

Bryce.

squale

Quote from: Bryce on 22:26, 06 November 14
I always get rid of the shields (not just in CPCs). They cut your hands to shreds when you work on them, they look ugly, make the computer heavy and are pretty much useless.

Bryce.

Yes definitely !!! :) Did the same in my Amiga's !

CraigsBar

Quote from: squale on 22:07, 06 November 14
Yes but mine's not a Schneider lol
Amstrad and Schneider fell out and Amstrad then sold in Germany directly... Still needed the shields and centronics connectors for compliance with German laws etc.

So the later CPC 6128 machines sold in Germany were Amstrad badged and centronics equipped. My Schneider is a revision 1 board, weighs a ton and now has a 5v floppy drive so no 12v lead needed.

Craig

squale

Thank you :)

Is that a cable equipped with an ABBA switch ? I can see switches on it to change drive & side ??

Amstrad Spectrum 3 Cable FOR 3 5" Floppy Drive OR HXC EMU With Drive Side Select

CraigsBar

Quote from: squale on 23:24, 06 November 14
Thank you :)

Is that a cable equipped with an ABBA switch ? I can see switches on it to change drive & side ??

Amstrad Spectrum 3 Cable FOR 3 5" Floppy Drive OR HXC EMU With Drive Side Select
Yes to me it looks like an ABBA switch. and a Side switch.

:)

squale

In terms of internal installation, is there a way to do something "clean", i.e : not having a big hole and a small drive (or HxC) ?

CraigsBar

Quote from: squale on 14:07, 07 November 14
In terms of internal installation, is there a way to do something "clean", i.e : not having a big hole and a small drive (or HxC) ?
That is exactly why I have kept 3 inch drives in all my 6128s. 3.5 inch drives always leave a gap in the case, and even tho they may well be more functional. I do not like the aesthetics. And I still have plenty of original games on 3inch disks is a different argument as I tend to load from hxc these days.

squale

Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:32, 07 November 14
That is exactly why I have kept 3 inch drives in all my 6128s. 3.5 inch drives always leave a gap in the case, and even tho they may well be more functional. I do not like the aesthetics. And I still have plenty of original games on 3inch disks is a different argument as I tend to load from hxc these days.

The same for me, it has to look cool  8)

Btw my 3" drive seems out of order (belt for sure and maybe more..) and I do not have any disks, so not very sure of the way to go..

CraigsBar

What are the symptoms? Generally drive belts are all that dies in these things! Having said that Bryce had to diagnose and fix the pcb on one of my 5v 3inch drives last month. Now all fixes again.

squale

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:31, 07 November 14
What are the symptoms? Generally drive belts are all that dies in these things! Having said that Bryce had to diagnose and fix the pcb on one of my 5v 3inch drives last month. Now all fixes again.

I am not 100% sure as I first have to fix my rom7 problem.

Bryce

There are discrete ways of installing a HxC internally such as the way I did it on the 464+ mod: 464+ Mod

Bryce.

squale

Quote from: Bryce on 15:58, 07 November 14
There are discrete ways of installing a HxC internally such as the way I did it on the 464+ mod: 464+ Mod

Bryce.

Very good job, btw where is the HxC LCD screen ?