General Category > Hardware related

CPC6128 !

(1/12) > >>

squale:
Hi guys,

I am a new user of the forum. I bought back recently a cpc6128 after what... 25 years without one lol, so I am trying to use it !

I have a problem, it powers on but the disk drive led stays on a "bit" (liked dimmed) and when I type "cat" (without any disk inside the drive), I got the tape prompt which says : "Press play on tape.." Is this normal ?

Unfortunately, I do not have any 3" disk to test it more, but these days 3" seems pretty outdated, so what is the best solution to use these internet .dsk files on my CPC ? 3.5" or maybe a SD reader ?

Anyone can help please ?

Thank you  :D

Bryce:
Hi squale and welcome,
      Not good news unfortunately. If it's asking for a tape without you having typed |Tape beforehand, then either ROM 7 has failed or the FDC has failed. (My money is on ROM 7). Maybe you need to open it up and see if the previous owner has modified it at all.
All easily fixable luckily.
Try typing other ROM 7 commands (like |B for example). If it says unknown command, then ROM 7 is dodgy.

Bryce.

squale:
Hi Bryce and thanks for the help.

This "ROM7" is a chip that I can find easily to replace ?

I should be able to fix if I have the part, will try what you suggested and let you know.

thx

CraigsBar:

--- Quote from: squale on 14:48, 24 October 14 ---Hi Bryce and thanks for the help.

This "ROM7" is a chip that I can find easily to replace ?

I should be able to fix if I have the part, will try what you suggested and let you know.

thx

--- End quote ---
Hi Squale,

The Rom 7 shoudl be freely available from many people here. I have several available. However as a general rule I'd recomment you replace it with a ParaDOS rom instead of a standard Rom7 (AmsDOS)

this upgrade will give you access to Disc formatter, file copier, disc verifier without needing any other tools. Oh It also provides 800k per disc formats on a 3.5 inch drive (as A or B)

If you want a copy of either AMSDOS (The standard ROM7) or ParaDOS then I am sure I can provide them.

Kind Regards

Craig

squale:
Hi Craig,

I understand a bit better, it seems that this ParaDos is the ultimate rom to have by now ?

I am very interested if you have one, let me know your conditions.

Regards.

--- Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:53, 24 October 14 ---Hi Squale,

The Rom 7 shoudl be freely available from many people here. I have several available. However as a general rule I'd recomment you replace it with a ParaDOS rom instead of a standard Rom7 (AmsDOS)

this upgrade will give you access to Disc formatter, file copier, disc verifier without needing any other tools. Oh It also provides 800k per disc formats on a 3.5 inch drive (as A or B)

If you want a copy of either AMSDOS (The standard ROM7) or ParaDOS then I am sure I can provide them.

Kind Regards

Craig

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version