News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Cpc6128 Disc Missing, worth keeping?

Started by diazibon, 15:44, 12 October 21

Previous topic - Next topic

diazibon

Hello everybody,
I received yesterday a 6128, but when i do Cat i receive the disc missing error, with all disks. The strange thing is that if i extract the disk and put it inside again, it works for a moment and then it gives the disc missing error again. Everytime i get the disc out and in, it works for just a moment.
I also received a 6128plus that stated as not working. Should I replace the drive for testing?
Is worth keeping both? Don't have much time, so i think the question is, would be easy to fix, or better i return them?
Thanks

Shaun M. Neary

Drive belt is worn down. Replace it (make sure you don't lose the write protect pin in the process), good as new.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

SRS

Quote from: diazibon on 15:44, 12 October 21Hello everybody, I received yesterday a 6128, but when i do Cat i receive the disc missing error, with all disks. The strange thing is that if i extract the disk and put it inside again, it works for a moment and then it gives the disc missing error again. Everytime i get the disc out and in, it works for just a moment. I also received a 6128plus that stated as not working. Should I replace the drive for testing? Is worth keeping both? Don't have much time, so i think the question is, would be easy to fix, or better i return them? Thanks
Quote from: diazibon on 15:44, 12 October 21Hello everybody, I received yesterday a 6128, but when i do Cat i receive the disc missing error, with all disks. The strange thing is that if i extract the disk and put it inside again, it works for a moment and then it gives the disc missing error again. Everytime i get the disc out and in, it works for just a moment. I also received a 6128plus that stated as not working. Should I replace the drive for testing? Is worth keeping both? Don't have much time, so i think the question is, would be easy to fix, or better i return them? Thanks
Don't believe Shaun. Your 6128plus is broken and you can send it to me so I could give it into green correct recycling ...

:)

Suppose the drive belt ist broken/to hard, too. How to change: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjC2I-0q8XzAhUBGewKHbFbA1YQwqsBegQICxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxWElIIjtvAo&usg=AOvVaw06cgRO7tPf64rbMQOE8AC3

diazibon

:) ok! I'll try. I'll tell you when it's done.
Thanks a lot both.

diazibon

Hello,
I haven't changed the belt already, but i have recorded a video of the driva working case it is useful.

https://youtu.be/cJ5wXEEXeiU
Thanks!

geebus

Is the belt still there? sounds like the motors going but the disc isn't turning.
Easy enough fix. Whilst you're in there you might as well clean the read/write head :)

diazibon

Hello!
I received a belt, i have tried opening the drive for changing it but i can't. The videos I see are different models. Anyone has seen one like this?
The belt seems to be there, but the disc only starts rotating when i turn it with the hand. Is that strange or only an old belt?
Thanks!

Bryce

There are several short cables that you will need to unplug from the PCB to get better access to the belt.

Bryce.

diazibon

Thanks Bryce,
Done, and working! Had to remove a small pcb with a led for having access.
It was easy, and now works great.
Thanks!!