News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC664 Floppy Drive disassembly

Started by Strike4711, 14:03, 17 December 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Strike4711

Greetings,
The FD on my CPC664 is working ok, but the spindle is making a lot of noise. So I want to disassemble and oil the sintered bearings. I've already done this with an external FD and it worked great.
Unfortunately, this is a different model and I can't get the disk guide out. You should be able to push this further forward towards the motor . But it doesn't work because the metal tongue (is that what you call it?) is blocking.
Does anyone have an idea how to proceed?

Strike4711

SerErris

What was the problem and how did you solve it?
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

Strike4711

The cast iron carrier on the left of the picture is removed from the frame on the right. It was fixed with three screws. Then disassembling is easy with a little patience.

SerErris

Do you have some time to make a picture and point out where those three screws are? I think they are on the bottom side of the assembly?

I also have some experience now on how to properly remove the PCB from the assembled drive, and in which order to remove which connector ... Maybe we can write a complete disassembly instruction (of cause with pictures) for anyone needing it.
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

Strike4711

Of course ... I have taken a lot of pictures during the disassembly. 
As you know this can save your life or at least the life of the device you're trying to repair   :D
I have attached the requested picture.

BTW: the drive is type EME-150A

If you like to write a guide for other users I'm happy to support .

Currently I'm struggling a bit with this drive. It sometimes refuses to read a disc (drive a disc missing).
Original discs are never a problem. 
Only floppy discs onto which data was copied in the past show the problem.
At the koment a suppose it's a mechanical problem.
But maybe I have to go for a drive adjustment.

wolfgang

Does anybody know the dimensions of the drive belt (diameter, width and material thickness)?

eto

Quote from: wolfgang on 22:57, 17 March 24Does anybody know the dimensions of the drive belt (diameter, width and material thickness)?

The Wiki has the right information ;-)

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Changing_the_drive_belt

wolfgang

Thanks for the info. I was hoping this belt can be used to fix an external Floppy drive for an old Toshiba Laptop, but unfortunately it will not fit. I need a belt with 205 mm length, 1,5 mm wide and 0,5 mm material thickness. If anybody has an idea where to get one please advice.