News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CTM640 spares ?

Started by The Last Bandit, 10:21, 27 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

The Last Bandit

My CTM640 has decided to generate a bit of smoke of power on last night. Are spares available at all for these ? Particularly stuff like the LOPT and transformers ?

Not investigated much yet but R436 is red hot and smoking so a fair bit of current obviously going thru it...

Bryce

The HT transformer will be difficult to find, but they don't produce smoke when they fail. All the other parts are pretty much off the shelf parts, so you shouldn't have a problem getting them.

R436 is a 7W resistor on the 2KV circuit (Not actually at 2000V, I just call it that, but still a very high voltage here). This should be quite hot and will probably kill you if you touch it - so don't!

Bryce.

The Last Bandit

Quite hot and smoking hot are different so something is amiss :)

Familiar enough with working on CRT's so hopefully won't get fried. Managed to find a few 'Amstrad Orion' LOPTs on Donberg, closest match is for a CTM644 - time of scour the datasheets to see how compatible it is.

Hoping I don't need one but might be handy for future reference.

Bryce

No, it shouldn't be smoking hot. :) C401 possibly bad?

Bryce.

The Last Bandit

Possibly, would certainly be a nice short to GND. Will probably recap the lot seeing as its apart now, lots of tired looking parts in there.

This is the LOPT listed, different part number though to the CTM640/CTM644 but there tech guys can usually confirm if a part is compatible or not.

As an aside, anyone ever fitted an amp and speakers to one of these similar to a 1084 monitor ?

Bryce

€38 !! you can get 2 complete CTM640 for that and have change over for a beer!

Bryce.

The Last Bandit

They're very expensive alright  :o  and then there is the shipping charge.. Cost me a fortune to repair my 1084 last year..

But CTM640/644 are tough to find over here now, spent ages looking for a reasonable one. Plenty of muppets like this looking for stupid money for retro stuff.

Bryce

Quote from: The Last Bandit on 12:36, 27 February 15
Plenty of muppets like this looking for stupid money for retro stuff.

What a rip-off! I'd have sold you mine for €248 :D

Bryce.