News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DDI + XMEM issue

Started by awergh, 13:21, 30 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

awergh

I got an adaptor from Piotr so I can attach the DDI to the X4 but the DDI doesn't seem to be working reliably.
This might have something to do with its awkward positioning.

The DDI and XMEM work fine by themselves but together sometimes I get artifacting eg Gryzor or read errors, and RTYPE 128K didn't let me start the game though I might of messed up with writing the disk with CPC Disk XP.

What I wanted to do was use a 50 pin extensions cable to put to move it somewhere more convieinet but whatever I tried that just didn't seem to work, is it somehow not allowed to add an extra metre or almost that to the length?

XMEM is in slot 1 and DDI is attached to the end and I'm not adding an additional power to the X4.

roy bates

ill keep an eye on this thread as i was going to ask the same question. :)

i would keep the cables as short as possible as i assume the ddi is the last thing connected.

did you clean the expansion port edge pads at the computer?

TFM

- Contacts clean?
- Wobbling contacts?
- Keep cables short :)
- Using a GT64/65, then get external PSU imho.

You can also ask here:
http://www.centpourcent.net/support.html#/offtopic/
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

awergh

The contacts seem fairly clean although I haven't cleaned it recently.

Its possibly wobbling, perhaps I should try it in the other room with extra space

AWWWW (maybe I can wait for the new phone book and prop up the GT64 and then there would be space or make space behind it)

I was using a GT64 yeah, partly cause its convenient sometimes although perhaps I should get an external PSU for the times I only want colour.

IanS

Quote from: awergh on 13:21, 30 January 15
XMEM is in slot 1 and DDI is attached to the end and I'm not adding an additional power to the X4.

I haven't done a lot with my XMEM yet, but have you checked to ensure that ROM 7 is disabled in the XMEM, or take the rom out of the DDI. You don't want both putting a value on the bus when rom 7 is selected.

May not be the issue, but worth checking.

gerald

Quote from: IanS on 14:12, 01 February 15
I haven't done a lot with my XMEM yet, but have you checked to ensure that ROM 7 is disabled in the XMEM, or take the rom out of the DDI. You don't want both putting a value on the bus when rom 7 is selected.
XMEM is ignoring ROM7 selection, so this should not be the problem.
I've use the XMEM with an original DDI1 without any issue.

TFM

Quote from: IanS on 14:12, 01 February 15

The X-MEM does NOT provide ROM 7!  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Subaru

Quote from: TFM on 17:24, 02 February 15

The X-MEM does NOT provide ROM 7!  ;)

FR

Si, c'est possible !

Il suffit juste de retirer le 40015 du ddi-1.

ENG

Yes, it is possible!

You just have to remove the 40015 of DDI-1.

"A L'HEURE OU BLANCHIT LA CAMPAGNE... (COURAGE, FUYONS !!!)"

Sorry, for my bad english. -> googletrad

TotO

The X-MEM definitively not provide the ROM7. It's to the floppy drive interface to do that.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Subaru

FR

C'est pas ce que j'avais compris l'autre fois.  :(

ENG

This is not what I understood the other time.  :(

TFM

Instead of the ROM 7 the X-MEM provides the lower ROM. This can be switched on or off. :)
TFM of FutureSoft

awergh

So I moved the 464 to another room to have another go where everything would be nicely positioned without wobble.

I'm a little confused though, Super Edge Grinder didn't detect the 128K neither did Edge Grinder (but at least it told me it couldn't find it), now the interesting thing about Edge Grinder is that previously I was able to load it from tape and it worked fine but the disk version seems not to work.

R-Type 128K works kindof, I'm not sure if thats a problem with the disk I wrote but it seemed to succeed.
It detects the 128K and plays the intro and the menu music but I can't get into the game and it has some artifacts of sorts displayed while loading

Orion Prime got past the 128K message but complained about the disk as it would appear I did something wrong there.

So really now I'm not sure what to do as the DDI works and the XMEM works but not really together, oh and Shinobi from TAPE didn't seem to work with the DDI attached but I didn't fully test that.
Gryzor displays artifacts when the XMEM is attached but fine when it is not attached.

I could clean the contacts but I doubt that would make much difference as the expansion port is definately working.
The XMEM is configured in 464 mode and booting from CPC instead of ROM although that didn't seem to make a difference either way of making things happen

Bryce

This sounds very similar to Craigsbar's problems. Maybe this needs to be properly investigated further: Oh No! My 464plus (with Internal Upgrades) has developed a fault.

Two completely different computers both showing artifacts on 128K software says to me "somethings up"? I've never seen a CPC having artifact problems before.

Bryce.

remax

I have (lots of) artifacts with my XMEM on my CPC 6128 CRTC 4
Brain Radioactivity

TFM

Quote from: awergh on 12:46, 05 February 15
... Super Edge Grinder didn't detect the 128K neither did Edge Grinder

Please use this to detect RAM and tell us the result! This could be helpful.  :)

TFM of FutureSoft

Subaru

FR
Ca n'a peut-être rien à voir mais, quel version de z80 as-tu dans ton CPC ?

--------------------
ENG
It perhaps has nothing to do but, what version of z80 have you in your CPC ?

awergh

Quote from: TFM on 18:32, 05 February 15

Please use this to detect RAM and tell us the result! This could be helpful.  :)

I ran it and it said 64KB of main memory and 512KB Expansion RAM

http://i.imgur.com/ydOrgxG.gif

And I've no idea what version of the z80 it is but from memory the mainboard says 1983 on it if that helps.

Subaru

QuoteSTMicroelectronics Z80 CPU cause compatibility problems with 464/664. Please, replace it by a Zilog Z8040004PSC.

Source: X-MEM MX4 Board - Cent Pour Cent

FR:
Il ya de grande chance que ton z80 ne soit pas un zilog.

------------
ENG:
There is a good chance that your z80 is not a Zilog.

TFM

Quote from: awergh on 13:43, 06 February 15
I ran it and it said 64KB of main memory and 512KB Expansion RAM

http://i.imgur.com/ydOrgxG.gif

And I've no idea what version of the z80 it is but from memory the mainboard says 1983 on it if that helps.

Ok, so RAM is fine. And Z80 is fine too.
TFM of FutureSoft

TotO

The problem is the CPC ASIC that look to be not fully compatible (CRTC 4).
No problem with the PLUS ASIC, probably because it was fixed.

I will see if it is possible to fix that after dispatching all the X-MASS boards.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)