News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Disc Drive EME 150 A missing component

Started by lazapap, 15:29, 17 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

lazapap

Hi everyone. I'm trying to fix a Schneider CPC 664 disc drive and I found out that the disc-detection led is missing (D301 diode). What type of diode should I replace with?

Bryce

It's a flat 3mm Infrared LED, not sure of a part number though. I would assume that something else is already broken on the drive if the previous owner removed this.

Bryce.

lazapap

Quote from: Bryce on 15:42, 17 December 20
It's a flat 3mm Infrared LED, not sure of a part number though. I would assume that something else is already broken on the drive if the previous owner removed this.

Bryce.
Thanks. Is it a receiver or transmitter LED? The voltometer shows 4,5 V, so should i look for a 5V replacement?
The drive is missing screws and also the step motor connector. But I think i soldered the cables correctly.

Bryce

Quote from: lazapap on 19:46, 17 December 20
Thanks. Is it a receiver or transmitter LED? The voltometer shows 4,5 V, so should i look for a 5V replacement?
The drive is missing screws and also the step motor connector. But I think i soldered the cables correctly.

It's an LED, so the voltage isn't important, only the current. It's the "transmitter", ie: not a sensor. You won't find a 5V LED, IR LEDs have a forward voltage drop of somewhere between 1.2V and 1.5V.

Bryce.

lazapap

Thanks Bryce. I've just mounted a IR led which I took from an old TV remote control and the drive came back to life. Although it still cannot CAT a floppy. The step motor locks in a position, and makes noise. The belt is new. Maybe some lubricant will help.

Bryce

The EME 150 is known for having a few issues that are non-resolvable, the head stepper motor being one of them. Calibrate the drive and see how long it stays in calibration. If it loses calibration after two or three disks (CATs but can't load files), then you can forget it.

Bryce.

tjohnson

Quote from: lazapap on 22:05, 17 December 20
Thanks Bryce. I've just mounted a IR led which I took from an old TV remote control and the drive came back to life. Although it still cannot CAT a floppy. The step motor locks in a position, and makes noise. The belt is new. Maybe some lubricant will help.

My 6128 took some encouraging to get the steeper to work after years of sitting unused, it seemed jammed but soon worked fine.  I'm not sure what model it is perhaps a 156 but I was able to calibrate it and it works good years later.

Bryce

The 150 has adifferent stepper motor to all the other models.

Bryce.