News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Could be two external drives on same cable?

Started by Querubin, 18:49, 02 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Querubin

I am thinking on put two external drives in one cable. Is it possible?. Gotek in one hand and floppy 3.5 in the other.

How?
Step by step

khaz

I asked the same question recently, and built a cable to try it. Having a switch on Pin12 is the better overall solution. Switching the power cable is fine to read, but I had problems writing on a floppy while the HxC was unpowered.

More than one external drive?

If you goal is to write a dsk/hfe on a floppy, then you could swap the data cable between read and write, or use a temporary 3" floppy in the drive A.

The swap method is tricky to make it work if you don't have a RAM expansion board (to copy the whole disc in one go). Even then, big discs like Orion Prime can give you trouble.

Querubin

:picard: sorry for open this new topic. Yours is the same.

Thanks for answering.

Really I wanted to swap between floppy and gotek. And copy from 3.5 to internal in case of need to rewrite any corrupted game on it. How should be this cable configured?.
Step by step

khaz

If you just want to read, then simply swapping the power cable is enough. I had problems writing, though I don't know if it's related to the HxC or if any second drive will prevent writing.

Querubin

Done, thankyou. Hope you find the solution to write from one to other.
Step by step