News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Tape will not play

Started by silverback4444, 18:20, 03 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback4444

Hi, my cassette deck on my 464 will not play. It does ff and rew but when I press play nothing happens.
I am reasonably competent so removed the base.
I noticed when I pressed play the motor does not even turn and the belt and mechanisms seemed to be operating correctly.
There are two leaf switches and noticed that when play is pressed one of the switches remains open. This appears to be the correct way that it should operate.
I can only deduce that the relay is possibly faulty and needs replacing but this is the point where I need assistance.
Firstly, am I correct and secondly where can i get one?
I have a multi-meter so happy to check voltages, can anyone assist please?

chinnyhill10

Have you actually tried loading a cassette? I.e entered RUN"", hit enter and then pressed a key to start the tape?

Unlike a Spectrum, the CPC has relay control of the motor and it will not activate until the computer lets it. Whereas on a Speccy the machine has no control over the drive.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

silverback4444

Oh right i wasn't aware of that. Thanks i'll give that a go later.

silverback4444

Yep that worked, thank you very much, most helpful

richy

Hi dear forum :-)
I have the same problem like Sliverback, unlike him I started loading on the cpc (cat or run").
I also hear the relay clicking after the usual keypress to start the tape deck, but it just does not move!
Belt and motor are fine since FF/REW works like they should - only play doesn't work!
Anyone an idea what to look for? Some weeks ago when I started using my 464 again everything worked fine...
Regards from Osnabrueck,
Richard

Bryce

There's a small leaf switch on the tape deck PCB to enable the motor during play/record. If this isn't lined up with the metal rod from the play key then the motor won't turn on.

Bryce.

richy

Hi Bryce :-)
Thanks for helping again!

I found two leaf switches on the tape PCB. One closes the other opens (this seems to overrun the relay when closed) when pressed play. Both are working.
My guess would be the relay isn't working correctly. Any idea how to check that whitout unsoldering it?
Richard

Bryce

You should be able to hear it clicking at the point where you "press any key".

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk

richy

Well this relay click I hear as mentioned.
But the two leaf switches are correct? One closes the other opens on play?
Very strange... ^^
I think i'll force the second switch to keep close and override the relay as a workaround...

Bryce

The contacts in the relay may be damaged. Have you checked that they actually make continuity when the relay is actuated?

Bryce.

1024MAK

Do you have a multimeter to test with?

If yes, you can test across the relay contact connections with your meter switched to a 20V DC voltage range (or equivalent range).

With the tape deck ready to play the tape (tape in and play pressed), but the computer not yet trying to load, you should have a voltage across the relay contacts. Then after pressing a key after the "press any key" message, after the relay clicks, the voltage should drop to zero (or very near to zero).

You can also test the voltage on the connections for the tape deck motor. Here, you should only get a voltage when the motor should be turning.

And yes, trying to probe around with a meter is a bit tricky, the times that another pair of hands would come in useful...

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

richy

Problem solved. Actual I dunno what happened - just irght before I was going to replace the relay (no continuity when on) it decided to come back to life. Very strange but as sudden the problem came as sudden it solved itself :-)
Thanks for your help!

Bryce

Dry joints perhaps?

Bryce.

richy

Hm, cannot really say. But: never had such a problem yet (was fooling around with my cpc hardware very often in those days) and it is still gone :-)