News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Fix broken Symbiface II?

Started by Emu, 16:10, 13 March 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Emu

Hi all,
a few days ago I bought a Symbiface II at eBay.

Unfortunately, it's not working. I connected it to different power supplies (providing up to 12 V / 4 A), but it doesn't do anything, no initial LED, no ROM messages. If I turn on the CPC with anyone of the power supplies connected to the SF, there are strange rythmic noises from the CPC speaker.

If I disconnect the power supply (the SF still connected to the expansion port) the noises are gone, but the CPC is working normally.

Does anyone know a way to find the problem and perhaps to fix it?

One thing that caught my attention is one of the electrolytic capacitors, the central one at the front edge (on my SF it's also the smallest one). It's top looks dark and open, with two small holes, not metallic and shiny as the two others do.

Does anyone have a large-scale photo of a working SF II to compare the look of the central capacitor?

Bryce

You can send it to me for repair if you like (I'm in Germany).

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: Emu on 16:10, 13 March 21
One thing that caught my attention is one of the electrolytic capacitors, the central one at the front edge (on my SF it's also the smallest one). It's top looks dark and open, with two small holes, not metallic and shiny as the two others do.
From the picture I've seen of the Symbiface II, that looks more like the self of the switching regulator.

Bryce

I've fixed several of these in the past where the regulator had fried itself. One even had a hole in the case.

Bryce.

Emu

@Bryce : Would you really do that? I would be happy to accept your offer.

Bryce

Quote from: Emu on 23:45, 14 March 21
@Bryce : Would you really do that? I would be happy to accept your offer.

Yeah sure. That's what I do here - Fix "Things"  :)
I'll send you a PM.

Bryce.