Fixing a key switch of a Schneider CPC 464 - Advice needed

Started by questionsallday, 19:46, 06 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

questionsallday

Hi!

I'm trying to refurbish an old Schneider CPC 464. It lived in a cellar for the last decade and even though it is a little bit dirty, it seems to work well.
The W-key is broken though It seems like the part of the switch, that goes into the the stem of the keycap, broke at some point and it someone tried to fix it using some kind of glue. I guess it broke again afterwards and now one part of the switch is glued in the keycap. It seems like the switch itself is still working (I can create a W-key event by pressing onto the broken switch on the keyboard), but I'm not sure how to repair it.

Here are some pictures of the computer: Schneider CPC464 - 1984 - Album on Imgur

This computer has a high personal value, so I don't want to do anything to damage it even more. Maybe someone has some experience with this and can give me some hints?

Bryce

Hi,
    unfortunately CPCs like yours (with real key buttons instead of membrane) are rather rare. There are several other keyboards with similar keys, that you may be able to use as a donor. I have quite a few types here, but wothout having the keyboard, it's difficult to tell which type would be easiest to adapt.
I see you are in Germany, if you are anywhere near Köln you could bring/send it over and I could try other types as a replacement.

Bryce.

questionsallday

Thank you for your reply!

I think I could fix the keycap myself by removing the broken stem part.
If I do so, I would need a replacement for the broken key switch though.

dodogildo

Quote from: questionsallday on 20:12, 06 January 16

If I do so, I would need a replacement for the broken key switch though.

Which key is that?
I recently gained possession of a (non schneider) CPC 464 with real keys (old type) which I'm intending to use for spares. I think I may send you that key if it's compatible with your Schneider...
M'enfin!

questionsallday

Thank you, this would be awesome!

I would need two things:

* The W-Key key cap
* A spare key switch, so I can replace the broken one of the W key

You can see the key switch here:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Any key switch of the same kind of keyboard would be fine, I guess.

dodogildo

Quote from: questionsallday on 15:28, 07 January 16
Thank you, this would be awesome!

I would need two things:

* The W-Key key cap
* A spare key switch, so I can replace the broken one of the W key

You can see the key switch here:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Any key switch of the same kind of keyboard would be fine, I guess.

I'll be trying to dismantle the key and the switch today. I'll need your shipping address et al. Pls PM with details.
M'enfin!

dodogildo

M'enfin!

dodogildo

Key and extra switches shipped to @questionsallday
M'enfin!

kopizoli

Dear dodgildo,

Do you still have this CPC464 with real keys and do you still have some spare parts ?

I've just bought a CPC464 and the "8-key" key cap is missing and also the key switch has been broken.

Can I buy from you a key switch and the "8-key" key cap ?

Thanks and kind regards,

kopizoli