Fixing broken floppy (not the drive) - THE SPRING

Started by ikari, 19:20, 11 March 21

Previous topic - Next topic

ikari

Hi guys,
I may not be the most active forum member ;-) But I do love this community and get back every now and then. This time I have to get out of my comfort zone and *ask for help*. I managed to obtain an actual, working, box version of Tasword (Apart of the whole other shopping frenzy I'm in. I now have *all* the basic CPCs!)

The problem is that the disk has a little malfunction and I have very very bad childhood/teenage times memories of trying to fix a broken door in a floppy, that went bad and damaged the floppy forever. So this time I would *love* to somehow fix the issue without opening the disk. The problem is that something very bad has happened to the spring that closes the disk back when the pull-thing on the side is released. It's on the very wrong side of the disk (the outside) and doesn't do its job.
Pics attached.

Any ideas on how to fix it without opening and damaging this genuine Tasword disk? Or someone in proximity of Poland that is good with manual work? (I am not, that's why I'm a software dev).

A proud owner of a couple of 6128, one since childhood, 464s, 664, the Pluses, some accessories, a Spectrum +3 and a ... C64 Maxi.

Bryce

If you are REALLY careful you can hold the two sides of the disk case apart and remove the spring and then use the disk, but the protection plate won't close by itself any more. If you want the spring to work again you have no choice, you'll have to split the disk open.

Bryce.

ikari

Stupid idea no.1: "maybe it just turned itself inside out, I'll just PUSH IT FORCEFULLY back inside". Did not work.

Less stupid idea no.2: "maybe I can just... cut the spring near where it's mounted" (not sure how it's mounted on the end that still holds, or on either end; I only found one photo of a CF2 disk open online for reference. Maybe I'll dismount a demagnetized-beyond-repair one later on, if I identify one. This would spare me the careful opening part.

Stupid Idea no. 3: replace the spring... with a ballpoint pen spring... just glue the stupid thing to the bottom and to the white thing. Risk: this, too, would require me to open the disk and see it fall apart in my hands. I'd do it to a maxell, but don't wanna try my skills on this one.
A proud owner of a couple of 6128, one since childhood, 464s, 664, the Pluses, some accessories, a Spectrum +3 and a ... C64 Maxi.

Gryzor

I'm with Bryce on this one, you will have to open it to put it back in place... If I were you I'd just pull it out, but you'd have to check whether it's touching the floppy surface perhaps?

Bryce

Quote from: ikari on 21:45, 11 March 21
Stupid idea no.1: "maybe it just turned itself inside out, I'll just PUSH IT FORCEFULLY back inside". Did not work.

Less stupid idea no.2: "maybe I can just... cut the spring near where it's mounted" (not sure how it's mounted on the end that still holds, or on either end; I only found one photo of a CF2 disk open online for reference. Maybe I'll dismount a demagnetized-beyond-repair one later on, if I identify one. This would spare me the careful opening part.

Stupid Idea no. 3: replace the spring... with a ballpoint pen spring... just glue the stupid thing to the bottom and to the white thing. Risk: this, too, would require me to open the disk and see it fall apart in my hands. I'd do it to a maxell, but don't wanna try my skills on this one.

Idea 1: Yes, that's really stupid. You'll just scratch the disk. The spring has a very defined place that it needs to be.

Idea 2: You shouldn't have to cut it, it's only held with a bent part at the end of the spring.

Idea 3: A ball-point spring is a helical spring, the disk spring is a wishbone spring. Two completely different (non-compatible) types.

Bryce.

ikari

Thanks guys!
It's not touching the floppy, I think, and when I carefully pulled it outside to be able to insert the floppy, it worked fine.
I'll just gently remove it then. Thanks again!