News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

3.5' & Gotek External - CAT not responding.

Started by Kevin Quinn, 18:37, 17 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Quinn

Bought an external drive cable kit off eBay to use with a 3.5" drive on my 6128.
I've connected everything as per the instructions and the drive is getting power but when I type CAT the light comes on the 3" drive but nothing else happens and it just stays at CAT. Also tried it with a Gotek and the green light didn't even come on and it did the same.
I've tried changing the switches for A or B drive and have cleaned my edge connector.
Does anybody know what the problem might be please? 

CraigsBar

What model is the drive (sorry I cannot help with the gotek as I don't have one) does it provide a ready signal?
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Quote from: Kevin Quinn on 18:37, 17 September 15
Bought an external drive cable kit off eBay to use with a 3.5" drive on my 6128.
I've connected everything as per the instructions and the drive is getting power but when I type CAT the light comes on the 3" drive but nothing else happens and it just stays at CAT. Also tried it with a Gotek and the green light didn't even come on and it did the same.
I've tried changing the switches for A or B drive and have cleaned my edge connector.
Does anybody know what the problem might be please?

Hi! If the light goes on at the internal 3" drive, then the CPC tries to access that drive.

To switch to drive B (the external drive) you do this:

|B

CAT

The command |B selects drive B and CAT is like usual.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Kevin Quinn

Tried the |b and CAT commands and nothing. Also tried another drive.
Occasionally it will say disk missing B but then it won't do it again.
I'm stumped.

McKlain

I bought a 3.5" kit to use with my gotek too, I have a 6128 plus. I had similar problems and in the end I removed the face select switch and the bridge that was on the right side of the pins. I just left de A/B switch.

Also my gotek has the jumper like this.

TFM

Good point!  :)  The side select should remain untouched, the CPCs DOS care about it (except you want to force amsdos to read the 2nd side, but for that it needs to be formatted).

However which error ever comes up. In case it's not possible to reproduce it in 100% cases then most often two problems are there, or one real evil dragon bit in that cable.  :o
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus