News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gx4000 Joypad alternative

Started by Dinorast, 19:00, 21 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinorast

I only have one joypad for the gx4000 and I was wondering if one of the standard 9 pin joypads would work in port 2, like the sega master pad, mega drive etc.

I dont want to try it out before asking, because i dont want any damage. Any ideas what could work ? Thanks

dragon

mmm, i view in a spanish online shop time ago a multi pad compatible with amstrad master system etc... for 9e.

But, in the other hand you can buy other game pad new:

http://retrocables.es/tienda/index.php?id_product=647&controller=product&id_lang=1

Dinorast

I have all the other 2 button joypads from other systems at home, so maybe they work with a gx4000 instead of buying one new, that was my idea...
Any experience anyone ?

qbert

The Amstrad CPC controller port was a standard of its own and was incompatible with all the other systems of the time, at the notable exeption of the Atari VCS one-button-only joystick.

It had the particularity to separate 2 different GND pins for the use of a dedicated joystick doubler.
The second FIRE was also unique, as it replaced the +5V power input pin of the Atari PCS 400/800 and Atari ST ports.
The CPC port was also notably fully incompatible with the analog standards of the time : the Atari VCS' paddle, the Atari PCS 400/800 trackball, and the Commodore VIC's paddle.

On the other hand, SEGA's and MSX's 2-buttons joystickes/joypads are well known to be usable on the CPC by the artefact of a home-made adapter or an internal rewiring. Just take care to NEVER use any vintage 9-pins D-SUB controller with an incompatible system unless you first checked the wiring : some unexpected combinations may definitively burn a joystick port !

Quote from: Dinorast on 19:07, 21 May 15
I have all the other 2 button joypads from other systems at home, so maybe they work with a gx4000 instead of buying one new, that was my idea...
Any experience anyone ?

remax

But a standard CPC Joystick would work well on a GX4000? (except for the lack of button 2 ?)
Brain Radioactivity

qbert

Of course : any Atari VCS-compatible-joystick will do on any 9pin DSUB port. Only additional buttons/functions may eventually be dangerous for some particular machines (like the Atari ST mouse port, for example).

Quote from: remax on 21:26, 21 May 15
But a standard CPC Joystick would work well on a GX4000? (except for the lack of button 2 ?)

EgoTrip

Didn't the Sega Master System controllers work with CPC's? I vaguely remember using one. I know the MD controller didn't work though.

CraigsBar

Quote from: EgoTrip on 22:46, 21 May 15
Didn't the Sega Master System controllers work with CPC's? I vaguely remember using one. I know the MD controller didn't work though.
yes... But you need to swap 2 wires otherwise fire1 acts as fire2 and fire2 does nothing.

I use master system speed king joysticks on my gx4000.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode