News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GX4000 Scart Issue

Started by Julian Solo, 18:27, 15 February 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Julian Solo

Hi there, i recently scored a GX4000 console off ebay. The unit was sold with only the rf cable so i purchased a cheap scart cable on amazon to try it on my tv. The console powers on but i only get a black screen (no sound). I tryed with a better scart cable and on a different tv but i always get this black screen (only once i noticed a flickering green image). Should i stick with the rf cable (assuming it works as i haven't tried yet) or there are other means of tv connection like the 8pin to scart cable? Sorry but i'm total noob and even searching the other posts i could not figure if such a cable exists or it is only to connect to an Amstrad monitor. Before i ship back the unit as defective any help would be greatly apprecieted.

P.S. Obviously i tried it with the Burning Rubber cartridge inserted

tjohnson

First thing to try would be tuning it in with the rf cable.  It's possible to run it using an 8 pin din to scart cable too.  However if it doesn't work via rf then the console is probably dead.

What power supply did it come with? people often kill them by plugging different supplies into the 5v like a 12v supply.  The original 11v is a larger plug and won't go into the 5v but most common 12v supplies will.

robcfg

Does the scart cable have all the pins?

It may be that it only has the composite audio/video pins, and you need basically all of them as the console outputs RGB video.

Good luck!

Julian Solo

It comes with the original Amstrad 11v psu. And the yes the scart have all the pins infact when i hook it to the tv is auto switches to the scart out like the others rgb cables i use (two different Amigas and some other consoles with rgb out).

mr_lou

I experienced somewhat the same when I got my GX4000: An extremely dark almost entirely black picture.

There are two videoouts on the GX4000. A monitor output and a SCART output.
There are also two different PSU inputs.

Depending on which video output you use, you must also use different PSU's.
At least that's how I remember it. One PSU is for the SCART output, and the other PSU is for the monitor output.
I don't remember which is for which though. But I remember getting a clear picture on my GX4000 when I used another PSU in the other port.
Just remember each PSU port wants different voltage. So be careful.

tjohnson

Try it with the rf cable before buying any new cables, it should be simple to plug it into the rf socket on your TV and then tune in.  Once you've done that and proven the console is working then it might be worth trying an 8pin din to scart socket. 

The other issue could be that the game cartridge is broken which would probably result in the same issue. They do fail.

Julian Solo

As i suspected it doesn't work with rf cable either. Really a shame as the console is in excellent estetic conditions. :(

gerald

Quote from: Julian Solo on 14:00, 16 February 20
As i suspected it doesn't work with rf cable either. Really a shame as the console is in excellent estetic conditions. :(
There is a high probability that the RAM is dead.
If any of the two ram device is hot ( see picture on https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/(please-read)-gx4000-with-original-power-brick-and-c4cpc/msg100061/#msg100061 ), the fix is quite simple.
You may also need to check that the 5V regulator is fine too.
Gerald