How to check 6128 Plus model's floppy drive speed?

Started by Overkill, 16:15, 17 March 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Overkill

Hi all,

I've spent ages trying to get a 6128 Plus floppy drive to read.  Long story short:- I did get the drive to CAT once, but it wouldn't load anything.  I found that the belt had been replaced, but it still had loads of old belt on both pulleys.  I cleaned it thoroughly, but now I just get read errors all the time.

After trying everything, I swapped the motor from a working drive and it fixed the problem, but unfortunately I now get the same error on the other drive.

I assume it must be a speed issue.  How do I check the speed?   I do have an oscilloscope and also I could probably sort out an external Gotek drive.

Thanks for reading :)

Overkill

OK, so I though i'd try winging-it and adjust that rubber screw on the top of the motor, it did not seem to want to move, but it might have moved very slightly clockwise, AND NOW IT WORKS!!!! :D

Overkill

I'd still like some information on how to check the speed though :)

Bryce

Overkill

Thanks for the reply.  So i'd need a second drive to run the software?

Bryce

Quote from: Overkill on 17:21, 17 March 20
Thanks for the reply.  So i'd need a second drive to run the software?

Yes, you'll need some way of loading that into the CPC. If you don't have that option, you can send the drive to me and I'll calibrate it for you.

Bryce.

Overkill

Thanks.  Luckily it's working fine at the moment :)

Bryce

If it's working good enough to read a disk, then you don't need a second drive, you can load that image from the drive you are testing.

Bryce.