News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

HXc Floppy Cable

Started by stulish, 20:54, 05 November 14

Previous topic - Next topic

stulish

Hi guys,

could someone tell me what cable i need to connect a HXc floppy emulator to my CPC6128.  or if there is a component number (RS or Farnell etc), so i can make one.

I have only just ordered the HXc board so i have some time to sort the cable out.

Thanks

Stu :D

Bryce

Hi,
    just get yourself an old PC floppy cable and a 36way Centronics connector with Crimp terminals and make yourself one of these: DIY:Floppy Drives - CPCWiki

Bryce.

TFM

You can use any cable which is usable to a 3.5" B-floppy.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 21:11, 05 November 14
Hi,
    just get yourself an old PC floppy cable and a 36way Centronics connector with Crimp terminals and make yourself one of these: DIY:Floppy Drives - CPCWiki

Bryce.

Isn't that wrong? No need to cut the red wire. There's space enough ;-)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

No, on the plus wire 2 has to go to cavity 1 of the Port, so red has to go. Check the pinouts for yourself. I have my cable here lying in front of me, connected to my HxC for years (working).

Bryce.

stulish

Thanks guys, i think i have one somewhere in a box.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 21:29, 05 November 14
No, on the plus wire 2 has to go to cavity 1 of the Port, so red has to go. Check the pinouts for yourself. I have my cable here lying in front of me, connected to my HxC for years (working).

Bryce.

Well I have a cable with two Centronics plugs, one for CPC one for 6128 Plus. It works perfectly since the early 90ies and nothing is cut. The flat cable is just shifted by one - that's all you need. No cutting :-)

TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Quote from: TFM on 03:38, 06 November 14

Well I have a cable with two Centronics plugs, one for CPC one for 6128 Plus. It works perfectly since the early 90ies and nothing is cut. The flat cable is just shifted by one - that's all you need. No cutting :-)

So you just crushed the red wire in the housing? Most modern connectors won't let you do this, to avoid the cable from being misplaced.

Bryce.

TFM

Well, I have to take another look, but IIRC there is space for it. Back the day I did only know that the pins were shifted by one, so I shifted the cable by one.

Also one can make an adapter: Two centronics plugs, cable shifted by one position. Depends on one's needs.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft