News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Later version MP-2 modulator schematics?

Started by CanonMan, 11:49, 24 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

CanonMan

Hi peeps!

Are there any official schematics available for the later version MP-2 modulator, as seen in the photo?

I picked one up recently and considered adding a composite video output socket to it.

Cheers,

Dave

CanonMan

Okay, forget that idea, the picture really is horrible  :laugh:

Does anyone out there happen to have a photo of inside the French version, the MP-2F with SCART output?

I'm going to turn my MP-2 into an MP-2F. It doesn't look at all difficult but it would be nice to see how Amstrad did it originally  :)

Bryce

The SCART was more or less just feeding the RGB signals through the box. ie: Not using the MP2 has the same effect. The only sensible mod is to add composite output.

Bryce.

CanonMan

Quote from: Bryce on 22:01, 26 July 16
The SCART was more or less just feeding the RGB signals through the box. ie: Not using the MP2 has the same effect. The only sensible mod is to add composite output.

Bryce.

Ah, but is the composite output any less awful than UHF? I suspect only slightly!

I plan to mod it in the same way the original MP-1 worked, with R, G, B and Sync passed through and a couple of resistors to 5v and 12v for the AV switching and RGB switching pins.

Playing Thing on a Spring is an interesting experience with an MP-2.... as soon as the screen scrolls it upsets sync timing and completely messes up the colour encoding. Crappy old MC1377  :laugh:

Bryce

Composite is a long way from RGB or S-Video, but still a lot better than UHF. Definitely worth trying. Wire it up and test it for yourself.

Bryce.

Duke

Quote from: CanonMan on 22:22, 26 July 16
Ah, but is the composite output any less awful than UHF? I suspect only slightly!

It can only be better, can't remember anything worse than the MP2 rf-output :)
I would go for RGB too and use the MP2 as a powersupply.

Audronic

@CanonMan

Could you take picture with 3" disk sitting on the electronics in the MP-2 so i can see the size of the area inside the box Please.
Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Quote from: Audronic on 00:22, 27 July 16
@CanonMan

Could you take picture with 3" disk sitting on the electronics in the MP-2 so i can see the size of the area inside the box Please.
Thanks   Ray

If it helps, that MC1377 in the bottom left of the PCB is a 20 DIP Package, so it's 26.5mm long.

Bryce.

CanonMan

Quote from: Audronic on 00:22, 27 July 16
@CanonMan

Thanks   Ray

The board measures 140mm by 85mm, if that's any use to you. I didn't have a camera with me in the workshop!

Audronic

@CanonMan

Thanks for the dimensions, I just wanted to see if i could fit my Scart to Hdmi converter in the space should i come across an MP-2.
Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.