Loud head movement sound and read errors on disk drive

Started by llopis, 09:41, 18 November 19

Previous topic - Next topic

llopis

I'm trying to fix this disk drive from a CPC 6128. After doing all the usual servicing (replacing belt, lubricating moving parts, cleaning head...), it doesn't quite work.

It makes a loud vibrating sound when moving the head back, and it often gives read errors. I'm assuming the two are related. The movement forward of the head sound fine, it's just the one moving backwards.

The felt pad seemed fine, but I replaced it just in case, but it remains the same.

Since it really felt like a vibration, I tried gently putting my finger on top of the plastic part that has the felt, and it seems to reduce the read errors.

Here's a video loading a game. It actually loaded it fine in this try, but the loud noise is still present.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5AABzDIlwU

Any thoughts what might be going on? I don't think it's a simple misalignment. Maybe it's time to take the drive motor apart completely and clean it up.

Bryce

The rotor in the head motor is broken. The motor will need to be taken apart, fixed and re-calibrated.

Bryce.

llopis

Quote from: Bryce on 10:25, 18 November 19
The rotor in the head motor is broken. The motor will need to be taken apart, fixed and re-calibrated.
I've never gotten inside the motor itself. Is the broken rotor something easy to fix once you get there, or you need some special part?
I have two non-working drives, so I'm hoping to create one fully functional one :-)

Bryce

There's a metal shaft with a magnet on it. It should be solidly fixed, but you'll find it can turn on the shaft. It needs to be superglued back in place and the fix should then be permanent.

I posted pictures of the repair somewhere here, but I've no idea where...

Bryce.