GOTEK internal drive seems to be frying any USB drive I insert

Started by betpet, 18:16, 24 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

betpet

I've finally gotten around to installing my GOTEK internal drive on my 6128 but it looks like it's frying any USB drives I insert into it. Any idea what the problem is? looking at everything else, it seems to be working fine except for that.  Here's how I installed it...

Old Amstrad CPC 6128 owner. New Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 owner. Getting back the love!

betpet

Old Amstrad CPC 6128 owner. New Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 owner. Getting back the love!

betpet

Switched out the red and orange wires and reversed them

betpet

Installed the new drive and it seems to be working

betpet

The power can only go in one way and I swapped the red and orange wires as told but I put working USB drives in and they come out dead.

megachur

Firstly, next time don't wire the 12v... the gotek need only 5v and mass...this will avoid to fry your gotek drive !

Secondly, as far as I know, there is no voltage protection... so if your GOTEK have fryed, then any usb stick will fry after (maybe even if you replace the right voltage because mass and 5v are in touch somewhere it will be damaged) !

So change your GOTEK with a new GOTEK drive and never user the first damaged : put it in lost forever trashcan !  ;D

I think also that your USB stick are also lost forever...

betpet

:doh:

Ouch!  That's an expensive lesson to learn!

In short, NEVER plug in the 12v?

megachur

Yes, don't plug the 12v... and test first the Gotek Drive... and if it is working good... then plug if you want the 12v (the 12v pin in the GOTEK drive is not connected to anything anyway...
Yes, we learn from these mistakes ...

betpet

Quote from: megachur on 08:12, 25 July 20
then plug if you want the 12v (the 12v pin in the GOTEK drive is not connected to anything anyway...

I'm not sure what you mean. If the 12v pin isn't connected to anything, surely nothing would have happened?

Bryce

The fact that the Gotek runs at all would suggest that it's only getting the 5V that it's meant to. If there were 12V on the 5V rail the Gotek would die instantly.

Bryce.

betpet

It's definitely frying my USB drives though. I'm literally putting them into my laptop, they light up, I transfer a file over, plug it into the GOTEK and it is dead from then on.

Edit: The GOTEK seems to work though as I type CAT, the drive LED lights up like it's searching.

Bryce

betpet

betpet

This is the board itself.  I just tried with just the 5v connected. I plugged in a USB drive and the GOTEK didn't kill it. The LCD wasn't displaying anything though.  If I add the 12v connector, the LCD displays "FlashFloppy v2.14" but I'm afraid to put in a USB.

EDIT: It may sound stupid but is it possible I may not have needed to swap the red and orange wires for this board?

betpet

Fixed it. I didn't need to switch the red and orange wires for this model.  Obviously someone has switched the relevant wires for the model itself.

Edit: Don't plug the 12v in any more, it's  not needed.

Now to test properly.

Bryce

And the component U1 is the reason that the 12V was only frying the USB sticks and not killing the Gotek too.

Bryce.

betpet

Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully this will be of use to someone else in future who can now avoid the mistakes I've been making!