Making internal ME57PBIO drive B instead of A on PCW8256

Started by geebus, 18:58, 23 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

geebus

Hi all. I'm looking to make the original drive on one of my pcw 8256's into the b drive after putting in a gotek drive to position A.
I've had a look at the board on the drive and it looks as though the drive is made DS0 on the circuit board with no jumper to make is DS1, like you would get on PC drives of the era.
After looking at the schematic and doing a bit of continuity testing i've decided that I have an idea of how to make it DS1.
If you look in my image here, I was thinking that if i cut the trace (in red) and then jumped from the pad to the trace (in green) this would give me the DS1 that I'm looking for.
Has anyone else had any experience of doing this? I'm hoping to be able to write disks for my other non modified (other than ram expansion) 8256.
As from previous posts, I'm a total amateur at electronics and would love to learn. So if I have this totally wrong let me know.

geebus

Thought i'd reply to my own question here as I just went ahead and done what i was suggesting.
The computer now boots using the gotek and see's the B drive.
Only problem now is that the drive belt is super slack, so just going to change that now and report back.