News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128+ not working

Started by beaker, 15:15, 23 November 14

Previous topic - Next topic

beaker

Hi everyone,

Some of my keys have stopped working, or work intermittently on my lovely 6128+. Not sure if its a membrane issue or something is on its way out? As you can see I have so far lost 6,8,0 and delete from the top line, f0 and full stop sometimes works  :( I only noticed it when I stuck in Lemmings.

The games seem to load and sound fine.

The PSU I was using with it died last year so not sure if that has any bearing on the issue, and when I plugged in Switchblade it had a bit of a spaz attack until I reset the machine.

Any suggestions would be great, not sure if it's a case of cleaning the membrane?

gerald

6, 8 and 0 key are on the same matrix row with 1, 4, ^, CLR, joystick up, left and right cursor. Read by AY bit 0
del, f0 are on the same matrix raw with f., ctrl, ".", ",", space, V, X, Z. Read by AY bit 7

Since only few key per row are not working, the AY should be fine and it looks more like a membrane issue.

I would first resettle the keyboard membrane connector. The row connector is the one closer to the keyboard and is covered by the line connector. Resettling will solve any poor contact issue.

However, the tracks on the membrane may also start cracking near the connector due to the curve constraint and aging. In this case the resettling may increase the cracks and the only solution is to cover the cracks with silver silk.

CraigsBar

Absolutely a membrane issue. Trade in post has brand new ones for £12.99
http://www.tradeinpost.com/www.tradeinpost.com/6128.txt
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

beaker

That's good news, I'll strip it down and order one next week, thanks  :D

CraigsBar

Loving the original prehistork 2. I wish I had one of those.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

beaker

lol, yeah I bought it last year or the year before from the chap who wrote the music.... Actually, it's the first time I've actually tried the disk in my machine as well as R-Type disk from ToT0... (I still haven't got around to trying the x-mem yet either)  :-[ ::)