Original CPC Multiface II - Need new ribbon connector

Started by kbjunkie, 21:56, 03 May 24

Previous topic - Next topic

kbjunkie

Hi all,

I'm looking for someone that can make/sells the complete 50 way expansion ribbon for a MultiFace II (the original one from Romantic Robot).  The one I have has a number of the cables broken inside it.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Rabs

Quote from: kbjunkie on 21:56, 03 May 24Hi all,

I'm looking for someone that can make/sells the complete 50 way expansion ribbon for a MultiFace II (the original one from Romantic Robot).  The one I have has a number of the cables broken inside it.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.
Hi I have spare 50 way ribbon and edge connectors but the pcb connector may be a problem. Do you have a pic of yours. Was it working before the ribbon was damaged?You cannot view this attachment.

kbjunkie

Hi,

I picked up the MF2 in a box of stuff with a CPC that I bought.  It had a couple of dead PAL chips (IC4/5) which I replaced with GAL16V8's but I discovered by checking the ribbon that there's a number of cables in the ribbon that are either dead or dodgy.  It wasn't working at all when plugged in initially - the CPC booted to a black screen (no raster).  The ground in the ribbon is broken so if I connect ground with a wire from the CPC to the MF2, I can get the menu up when pressing STOP but it crashes when I select an item with the keyboard.  I then checked the ribbon and found some broken wires.  RESET button also doesn't work (although the switch tests fine) - I suspect there's another broken part of the ribbon going to RESET that's NC.

Pic attached,

Cheers,

Mark.

Rabs

I also had problems with one of the PALS and if I remember I had problems selecting the correct software to program.
You cannot view this attachment.

The ribbon visually looks OK. Tricky bit, I guess, is that the connector is soldered into the PCB. 

I would check the edge connector, maybe re-crimp and maybe reflow the pcb side as a first stab.

BTW I made myself a clone and have spare PCBs if you are interested.

You cannot view this attachment.

kbjunkie

I've already reflowed the cable on the MF2 side and removed and re-crimped the cable.  No difference.  It looks like some of the cables in the ribbon are broken somewhere.  I think the only way to sort is to replace the cable.

Do you have any parts to build the cable - the ribbon, 50 way connector on the CPC side and the solder crimp connector on the MF2 side?

Thanks,

Mark.

Rabs

Quote from: kbjunkie on 11:29, 04 May 24I've already reflowed the cable on the MF2 side and removed and re-crimped the cable.  No difference.  It looks like some of the cables in the ribbon are broken somewhere.  I think the only way to sort is to replace the cable.

Do you have any parts to build the cable - the ribbon, 50 way connector on the CPC side and the solder crimp connector on the MF2 side?

Thanks,

Mark.
Will message you with what I have spare.