News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PSU 6128 disc drive problem

Started by ComSoft6128, 09:00, 17 June 22

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

OK I've blown a few fuses in my head this morning over this so help would be appreciated.
Switched on the 6128 (powered by PSU's) and tried to CAT a disc and get "Drive A disc missing: Retry, Ignore, Cancel"
- Aargh!
Tried a few other discs same result.
Bring out the backup machine - same result.
Bring out the second backup machine - same result.

So three duff drives?
Unlikely.
More likely the 12v PSU is at fault.

So I'm looking now for the "Gold Standard" of 12v PSU's - can anyone recommend the best one?

ComSoft6128

roy bates

personally id probably get a duel rail supply
something that has 5 and 12 volts with decent protection

ComSoft6128

OK,

But would that one do the job?

roy bates

probably if your using two supplies for your 6128 and you suspect the 12 volt side is gone

if you had a multimeter,i suppose you could check if its faulty

ComSoft6128

No multimeter but when I removed it from the rats nest of cables under my desk I noticed the LED wasn't lit.

roy bates

yeah,probably more than likly dead,unless the fuse blew in the plug or the unit

ComSoft6128

Looking at another cheaper one I see this:

"The centre of the power plug is positive, the outer, negative." - is that suitable for the CPC?

roy bates

actaully it doesnt say what the polarity of the plug is,which is important

which on the 6128 is center ground and barrel is 12v and its a socket not a plug for the cpc drive
Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 14:30, 17 June 22Looking at another cheaper one I see this:

"The centre of the power plug is positive, the outer, negative." - is that suitable for the CPC?

GUNHED

Attention!!! The plus and minus poles of the 12 Volt connector of the CPC are exchanged.
There is (somewhere) a Wiki page about that.

When I bought a 12 Volt supply I cut the cable and soldered both lines together vice versa.

However, even without 12 Volt you can use a 3,5" drive a port B (they only need 5 Volt), just to check if anything else is working.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

roy bates

actually an adaptor could be made for standard center pin positive 12 volt supplies,to adapt it

but,this may be beyond you with no tools

eto

Here are all the specs: 

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Power_Supply_for_CPC_and_CPC_plus

As already mentioned, please remember that 12V is center ground!

I have used several power supplies for the 12V and never had any issues. I even "stole" the 12V from a LCD TV and it was totally fine, while using a 5V supply for the computer. 

A combined 5V/12V supply would e.g. be the Meanwell 35W RD35A. But it needs a custom case.

Every now and then you can find a PSU with 5V and 12V on Ebay, e.g. for some Laptop models, but of course also requires some soldering then. Just don't get the cheap ones for external drives. They most likely will not reliably deliver >2A on 5V.

ComSoft6128

Thanks Roy!

The PSU you recommended arrived this afternoon and the 6128 is working fine :)

vasilisk

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 14:27, 18 June 22Thanks Roy!

The PSU you recommended arrived this afternoon and the 6128 is working fine :)
care to share which one you bought?  8)

ComSoft6128

ComSoft6128

What seems odd to me is how the failure was gradual and initially mimicked (to me) dodgy discs.
Some discs worked some didn't.
I know very little about electronics so expected a PSU problem to be immediate and final.

Bryce

PSU's that are having problems keeping the voltage or current stable can cause many weird and wonderful effects.

Bryce.

roy bates

very true bryce,it doesnt have to drop by much at all,probably around 11-10.5 volts or there abouts

some pc supplies die that way as well,more noticably under load