News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Question on CTM644 - Very dark picture

Started by Shining, 10:59, 11 March 15

Previous topic - Next topic

CanonMan

Quote from: roy bates on 12:56, 13 March 15
whats wrong with that method?

What's right with it? Think about it...  :laugh:

roy bates

Quote from: CanonMan on 14:27, 13 March 15

What's right with it? Think about it...  :laugh:

i did think about it,lol...so would you like to explain?

Bryce

If you use a "bare" screwdriver like this one: http://www.hubertuy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/screwdriver.png
Then there's a good chance that the voltage will arc to your hand. Not good.
Better to use an electricians (insulated) screwdriver: http://www.hyperclaw.com/pic/products/vde_philips_screwdriver_L.jpg
But even then... If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing properly. And proper jobs are done with proper tools.

Bryce.

The Last Bandit

You're better off with a flat blade, those philips/posi are a bugger to get under the anode cap  :D

Shielded long screwdriver, bit of wire and a croc clip has served be well on a variety of TV & monitors. 22KV seems a bit high for the CTM644 though, my 19" arcade crt  is about that. General rule of thumb is approx 1KV per inch plus a few KV.
[size=78%]  [/size]

roy bates

a 14 inch crt's yields about 15kv.

ivarf

Quote from: Bryce on 12:53, 11 March 15
The knobs on the back off a CTM644 are to adjust V-Hold and H-Hold. They will not have any effect on the brightness of the picture and due to their age, only turn them if you really have to
Did they remove  the brightness pot from the back of later models? The 464 colour monitor had it

pelrun

The external brightness pot for a CTM644 is on the right side, not the back. But it's limited (you don't want the consumer burning out the tube!) and requires the internal sub-brightness pot to be adjusted properly.

ivarf

I remember one at the back as well. It might have been a hole in the case where you had access to the potmeter with a screwdriver

Bryce

@Canonman: Of course a flat head would be used. My example was just to show the type of insulation.

@Roy: 15KV hurts too :D

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.

roy bates

:laugh: bryce, ;D 15kv will more than hurt mate.

kevin.c

Thanks God, discharging the LCD is much more safe.

roy bates

i like working on crt's so i dont really worry about it myself :laugh:

i would rather have a crt than a lcd for sure..especially on older machines like cpc's