News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Schneider FD-360 as external drive for CPC

Started by eto, 14:15, 02 March 22

Previous topic - Next topic

eto

I just found a FD-360 (5.25", 360K) for a non-crazy price and I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to connect it to the CPC.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any pictures of the internals, but from the specs and service manual, it seems like a straight forward solution, where only the cable needs to be exchanged. Just checking if I am missing something.

GUNHED

Such a drive may be good for few exotic formats.
For real CPC-life and 5,25" imho it would be beneficial to get a drive with 80 tracks and two sides.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

SerErris

Quote from: eto on 14:15, 02 March 22I just found a FD-360 (5.25", 360K) for a non-crazy price and I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to connect it to the CPC.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any pictures of the internals, but from the specs and service manual, it seems like a straight forward solution, where only the cable needs to be exchanged. Just checking if I am missing something.
I would think that this is a perfect drive ... It should be able to carry 40 tracks with 9 sectors - so could be formated in normal CPC formats. I am not sure if it "cheap" as of nowadays even the DD disks are really sparse and you cannot simply use HD disks.

However keep in mind that the only amstrad supported format during the livetime is the 720k format (5,25" and 3,5"). Those drives have been around by Vortex but also some Parados implementations could be done with normal PC 5.25" drives. So this is kind of authentic.

Also if you do not use a real floppy, I do not see any benefit today anymore to use a real drive. Go Gotek or go real (authentic). Anything else is also a emulation which is covered by the gotek.
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.