News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 monitor artifacts

Started by privateme, 21:54, 27 February 23

Previous topic - Next topic

privateme

Hi,
I've got an old CPC 464 thats been sitting in a loft for years. When we've plugged it into the monitor (the official Amstrad colour one) we get some strange artifacts. It changes depending on how far in the power cable is. The most common ones are: a plain red screen, red and black lines, a plain green screen that fills the whole monitor and a black screen with a few green pixels in the corner. We've opened it up, given it a good clean and plugged in some loose cables to no avail. I took a macro image with my phone of the power input (image attached), and it looks to be slightly corroded? (I wouldn't be suprised as it has been sitting in a damp loft for about 30 years). If you know anything about this, please let me know as I really want to get this fixed.
Thanks.

You cannot view this attachment.
CPC 464

privateme

Need some help with this, I'll send some pics of said artifacts later on.
CPC 464

Bryce

Try cleaning the power socket, but it looks to be in a bad state. It's probably better to replace it.

Bryce.

privateme

Quote from: Bryce on 08:51, 28 February 23Try cleaning the power socket, but it looks to be in a bad state. It's probably better to replace it.

Bryce.
Do I need soldering equipment to replace it as I don't have that available. How would I go about cleaning it?
CPC 464

privateme

CPC 464

robcfg

For cleaning the power socket, I'd spray some contact cleaner.

As for replacing it, yes, you'll need a soldering iron.

privateme

Quote from: robcfg on 09:33, 07 March 23For cleaning the power socket, I'd spray some contact cleaner.

As for replacing it, yes, you'll need a soldering iron.
Thanks
CPC 464