News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

TV Output cable for GX4000

Started by airdream, 06:33, 29 April 22

Previous topic - Next topic

airdream

Hello to the community !

I found lot of informations here but i'm newbie , and i have lot to learn about Amstrad hardware.
I recently bought an Amstrad GX4000 on Ebay, with the objective to use with C4CPC (or other) flashcard.
The GX4000 is from Italia, so i think it will come with the RF video cable.
So i am seeking for a TV cable with good quality. I understand that SCART output is a composite output for italian version of GX4000. (Am I right?)
Is it better to buy a "8 pin din to scart" cable to have RGB? (can you recommand me one?)
I will use the GX4000 ont a modern LCD TV (or LCD monitor) without SCART connector. I guess i also need a SCART to HDMI converter. (all can accept PAL or RGB?)
Is it better to forget RGB and plug it on composite?
Thank you for reading

eto

Do you have pictures of the back of the GX4000 from the auction?

I am only aware of a different French version but have never heard anything about an Italian version. 

Afaik all GX4000 had a Scart connection. French models often did not have the RF modulator, but Scart is always present. I also would not expect any GX4000 and SCART with only composite output as RGB is the "natural" output mode for the CPC range and implementing composite but not RGB would be a lot of effort (which Amstrad only did if absolutely necessary for legal reasons). 

airdream

Thany you Eto   :)I don't have pictures of the back but according to you, it may be the european version of the GX4000 (not the french one )So if i buy a standard Peritel Cable + converter Peritel to HDMI i will have RGB signal to my LCD monitor.
That's my goal, i tought it was more complicate to have RGB with GX4000 (except french version) , it seems i was wrong so

pelrun

SCART to HDMI converters almost universally use only the composite or s-video signals present on the connector, it's extremely unlikely you'll find one that uses the RGB directly (unless you spend the money for an OSSC). Which is OK if you have the non-french version, but won't be as clear as a true RGB signal.

Edit: whoops, I say that, and then almost immediately find this: https://www.amazon.com.au/Baosity-Converter-Support-Connector-Output/dp/B081N6H4L4 which has reviews from people literally using it with the CPC... :D

eto

Quote from: pelrun on 08:13, 29 April 22Edit: whoops, I say that, and then almost immediately find this:
Cheap ones almost always only support Composite Video. If you are willing to spend a little bit more, they often support RGB. 

But I am not sure if it always works. I had 2 that said they support RGB (but to be honest, I took the cheapest offer from Amazon) and did not have any success with it. But I didn't put a lot of effort into it, to figure out, if it's maybe something else and not the adapter. 

pelrun

That's why I *specifically* linked to a unit that has reports of working successfully with the CPC, which has only RGB output.

pelrun

CPC's and Plus/GX4000's are natively RGB output; that's what the Amstrad monitors have always taken. Amstrad specifically did it that way to distinguish themselves from the competition, which expected people to use the family TV and only sold monitors as optional extras. Amstrad instead primarily sold packages with the monitor included, you had to buy a separate modulator if you wanted to use the TV instead. The GX4000 is the only model that (optionally) had composite/RF output, as it was intended as a TV games console.

So yes, it is 100% guaranteed that your unit will have RGB.

airdream

That's a really good news, very happy to hear that, i will order peritel cable and Peritel to HDMI converter then ! 
Thank you  ;)