USIfAC II, technical problems & support [MERGED with Plus-related posts from original thread]

Started by ikonsgr, 17:23, 29 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Josip

Good evening everyone.

Got mine ULIfac few days ago, and finally get some time to test, but i have some issues.

This is screen that i got when i connect to amstrad cpc 464, and nothing happens.

If i click reset, machine resets but same result. 
Edge connector is cleaned and dandantor is working without any problem, reset, loading games, everything is working ok

If i remove stick then sometimes i get that there is no usb device, but to get that i need to press ram/rom button. Then if i plug usb i am able to load game from .dsk file, but if i reset computer then it is stuck again.

Also i have noticed that some pins on USB board are not soldered, does it need to be soldered?

Do i missing something or? I have read manual, but cannot find nothing helpful.

Thanks for help.

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Josip

2A is PSu, but i can try to power device externaly. 
Maybe i have somewhere more powerful PSU.
Will try later and update.

Josip

tried with 3A PSU, same result.
Tried to power device with external PSU, again no change.

Devlin

Try a different usb stick, some are fussy with the usb module, and can cause it to hang on startup (if too slow, or power hungry as some are)

The unsoldered pins are completely fine - it's like that with all u[s/l]ifac2 units.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Josip

Tired two usb sticks, same result.
Also on one stick created 256mb FAT partition, same result.

Any other advices?
Is this correct output?

shacpc

- Enable USB auto mode with the following command: OUT &FBD1,51 + ENTER  and restart your CPC. If the USB is still not recognized, try the following steps.

- Use USB 2.0 devices (to avoid voltage problems) or microSD-USB 1.1/2.0 adapter with micro SD/SD card that consume very little electricity.

- Not format your USB from the Windows system, but from an app called Easus Partition Manager Free .

- Format your USB in FAT32, 4KB clusters. If your drive is larger than 8GB, create a 4 GB partition (FAT32, 4KB) at the beginning of the USB space and leave the rest of the USB space unallocated.

An Edge cable problem cannot be ruled out. It has happened to me. Dandanator connects directly to the expansion slot and a faulty cable with ULIfAC can cause data or power loss. If the USB tips have not worked for you, try the Edge cable with which you connect your ULIfAC to your CPC, preferably a cable that is as short as possible.

Josip

I have emailed with John, will send him back this unit, and he will send me back another one.
He is suspecting that USB host module is faulty, but we will know when he got mine card to check.

Tried even with old 2gb stick, but same problem.
Also John advised me to try these commands above, but no change.
Tried also to add pull up resistor as John advised but no luck.
Cable for ULIfAC is what i got with device, it short cable. I do not have any other cable to test.

I will update post soon as i get another device, and also will write after John update me about this problematic device.

bolton80

Quote from: ikonsgr on 11:52, 02 September 23If check box "Ready for Archive" is black (partially enabled) then try to "clear" it completely. Also uncheck the "Read only" attribute, maybe this causes the problem to remain.

I've found a solution to my folder directory issues. If anyone has similar problems...
Create your new folder directly on the USB stick, and then copy your files into it from a PC.
Do NOT create your folder on a PC and then copy it over to the USB.

Hope this helps!

dmuscat

Hi everyone,

Just received my ULIFAC the other day, it is a nice piece of kit!

I have a few questions that I am hoping can be answered. I am using a CPC 464 with the ULIFAC rev 3 device.

1. The |MROM command does not work on a 464 unless the 6128 bios has been loaded. I get a "type mismatch" if I attempt the command when in ULIFAC 512KB mode.
    The same |MROM command does not error when I have the 6128 bios loaded. However, it doesn't seem to load the rom. Even if I type |SW afterwards, the rom is not loaded. Have tried multiple rom slots and different roms (all 16kb, no header).
    This means basically my only option at the moment is to load everything via the config.txt, which limits flexibility. Has anyone had similar experiences?

2. The File Manager |FM doesn't support long file names. Is there an alternate tool / rom that supports long file names? Also, is there a way via File Manager to assign a disk to drive 2,3 and 4, rather than having to use the |MG commands?

Thanks so much again John for the ULIFAC!

ikonsgr

Quote from: dmuscat on 05:00, 26 September 231. The |MROM command does not work on a 464 unless the 6128 bios has been loaded. I get a "type mismatch" if I attempt the command when in ULIFAC 512KB mode.
    The same |MROM command does not error when I have the 6128 bios loaded. However, it doesn't seem to load the rom. Even if I type |SW afterwards, the rom is not loaded. Have tried multiple rom slots and different roms (all 16kb, no header).
    This means basically my only option at the moment is to load everything via the config.txt, which limits flexibility. Has anyone had similar experiences?
With Basic 1.0 of CPC464 you can't pass arguments to rsx commands directly. You need first to declare a string variable. For example, let's say you want to mount CH.ROM file on slot 3. For CPC6128 you just give: |MROM,"CH.ROM",3.BUT for CPC464 you must give: A$="CH.ROM":|MROM,@A$,3. Mind also that this is the way you must pass string arguments with any rsx commands that requires it, not only |MROM. Btw,i mention this on User's Guide too  :)

Quote from: dmuscat on 05:00, 26 September 232. The File Manager |FM doesn't support long file names. Is there an alternate tool / rom that supports long file names? Also, is there a way via File Manager to assign a disk to drive 2,3 and 4, rather than having to use the |MG commands?
Unfortunately this is a limitation of the CH376 USB host module, it doesn't support long filenames (as amsdos too), and all long filenames appear with a "~xxx" filename ending, just like with old MSDOS. Btw, you can type "~" on Amstrad CPC using CTRL+'2', as i guess that's the main "difficulty" with big names, you don't know how the hell you type the "~" on CPC  :)

ikonsgr

@Josip, I just receive the board you sent me, and i confirm that it gave me weird behavior too (mostly, Board not recognized on cold boot).
So, before starting "deep digging", to find the problem, i thought to give a "Clean flash" on ULIfAC's PIC chip (the one next to the Usb host module, which you can now reprogram using UART port and a simple usb2serial cable, the other PIC is mainly for controlling RAM/ROM board functions and you can't re-flash it onboard, as firmware for this PIC will never need to be updated anyway).
 And guess what, all problems resolved! Amstrad boots normally, loads roms and reset to dual mode without problems (i use "auto usb" function and a config.txt file for auto mounting roms upon cold boot, to emulate the most "complex" booting), no matter how many times i switched it off/on!
 Also it boots without problems if you have "auto usb" enable and no usb stick plugged or if you disable "Auto usb" function too. I tried all basic functions (access games, dsk images, snapshots, rom games) on both CPC464 and CPC6128 and everything worked perfect!
So it seems that in the end it was a bad flashing of PIC or perhaps PIC's firmware was damaged somehow, and needed to reflash it...

dmuscat

Quote from: ikonsgr on 08:19, 26 September 23
Quote from: dmuscat on 05:00, 26 September 231. The |MROM command does not work on a 464 unless the 6128 bios has been loaded. I get a "type mismatch" if I attempt the command when in ULIFAC 512KB mode.
With Basic 1.0 of CPC464 you can't pass arguments to rsx commands directly. You need first to declare a string variable. For example, let's say you want to mount CH.ROM file on slot 3. For CPC6128 you just give: |MROM,"CH.ROM",3.BUT for CPC464 you must give: A$="CH.ROM":|MROM,@A$,3. Mind also that this is the way you must pass string arguments with any rsx commands that requires it, not only |MROM. Btw,i mention this on User's Guide too  :)

Quote from: dmuscat on 05:00, 26 September 232. The File Manager |FM doesn't support long file names. Is there an alternate tool / rom that supports long file names? Also, is there a way via File Manager to assign a disk to drive 2,3 and 4, rather than having to use the |MG commands?
Unfortunately this is a limitation of the CH376 USB host module, it doesn't support long filenames (as amsdos too), and all long filenames appear with a "~xxx" filename ending, just like with old MSDOS. Btw, you can type "~" on Amstrad CPC using CTRL+'2', as i guess that's the main "difficulty" with big names, you don't know how the hell you type the "~" on CPC  :)

Thank you for the explanation John. Appreciate the quick response. Looks like I will be renaming a bunch of disk images so they are easier to read :) 

Josip

Quote from: ikonsgr on 08:32, 26 September 23@Josip, I just receive the board you sent me, and i confirm that it gave me weird behavior too (mostly, Board not recognized on cold boot).
So, before starting "deep digging", to find the problem, i thought to give a "Clean flash" on ULIfAC's PIC chip (the one next to the Usb host module, which you can now reprogram using UART port and a simple usb2serial cable, the other PIC is mainly for controlling RAM/ROM board functions and you can't re-flash it onboard, as firmware for this PIC will never need to be updated anyway).
 And guess what, all problems resolved! Amstrad boots normally, loads roms and reset to dual mode without problems (i use "auto usb" function and a config.txt file for auto mounting roms upon cold boot, to emulate the most "complex" booting), no matter how many times i switched it off/on!
 Also it boots without problems if you have "auto usb" enable and no usb stick plugged or if you disable "Auto usb" function too. I tried all basic functions (access games, dsk images, snapshots, rom games) on both CPC464 and CPC6128 and everything worked perfect!
So it seems that in the end it was a bad flashing of PIC or perhaps PIC's firmware was damaged somehow, and needed to reflash it...
Great that you manage to solve issue, replacement is arrived in Croatia and i am expecting to have in next few days, so i will give i a test to this new one. Also in meanwhile i got usb programmer so i will be able to reflash just in case.

Josip

Got another ULIfAC, but i still have same problems.
So i am now starting to worry that maybe is something wrong with computer itself.

With dandanator it works normally, also loading from tape is working.

I am not very familiar with Amstrads, is there any chip that can maybe be marginal or faulty?

Or any specific usb stick that someone can recommend?

Thanks.

d_kef

Quote from: Josip on 10:32, 08 October 23Got another ULIfAC, but i still have same problems.
So i am now starting to worry that maybe is something wrong with computer itself.

With dandanator it works normally, also loading from tape is working.

I am not very familiar with Amstrads, is there any chip that can maybe be marginal or faulty?

Or any specific usb stick that someone can recommend?

Thanks.
It seems that some 464s (mine included) just don't like the USIfAC/ULIFAC, although every other interface work fine with them.
It looks like some kind of timing issue but I couldn't find any evidence.
Strangely enough, when I also connect my M4 board with the M4 ROM disabled, my USIfAC works normally!
So you shouldn't blame your CPC or your ULIfAC but it would be nice if someone could find the cause of the problem.

d_kef

Audronic

@d_kef
I had a ? "SOFT" ? Z80 That created a similar Problem
I replaced it with a modern Z80 and the Problem went away

Good Luck

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Josip

Josip

@Audronic

Tried to swap CPU with one from 1822 but same problem persist.
Do you have maybe code of your?

d_kef

Tried a few different Z80 CPUs but... no joy.  :(
I haven't got a CMOS one to test though.

d_kef

Audronic

Quote from: Josip on 18:34, 09 October 23@Audronic

Tried to swap CPU with one from 1822 but same problem persist.
Do you have maybe code of your?
Hi Josip

Sorry I don't have the code, I just grabbed a new Z80 some time ago and it fixed the problem

Keep Safe

Ray 
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

ikonsgr

As far as i know, never such weird technical problems reported for CPC 6128, all reports concern CPC 464.
So,i tend to believe that as CPC 464 was the 1st design back from 1984 (and also designed and made from Amstrad rather hasty too...), there must be some update/fixes for CPC 6128 board design.
 I have also noticed in the past, that changing Z80 CPU or ROM/EEPROM chips can correct or create problems on a CPC 464. This indicates that initial CPC464 board design, is a bit "marginal" regarding correct signal timings all over board.
 One other possibility is that after so many years, small corrosion/oxidation of the board itself or parts (especially capacitors) might cause problems on traces (e.g. adding some parasitic resistance/capacitance) resulting in various signal problems.
As far as ULIfAC board concerns, board is rather small (less than 10cm in length),i use rather wide traces (~0.5mm),double copper thickness, and also gnd and 5v supply traces are ~1mm wide. This minimizes trace resistance/capacitance so i don't think that ULIfAC board design can cause any technical problems, at least on a rather slow 1MHz board like Amstrad CPC...

d_kef

Quote from: ikonsgr on 11:12, 11 October 23As far as i know, never such weird technical problems reported for CPC 6128, all reports concern CPC 464.
So,i tend to believe that as CPC 464 was the 1st design back from 1984 (and also designed and made from Amstrad rather hasty too...), there must be some update/fixes for CPC 6128 board design.
 I have also noticed in the past, that changing Z80 CPU or ROM/EEPROM chips can correct or create problems on a CPC 464. This indicates that initial CPC464 board design, is a bit "marginal" regarding correct signal timings all over board.
 One other possibility is that after so many years, small corrosion/oxidation of the board itself or parts (especially capacitors) might cause problems on traces (e.g. adding some parasitic resistance/capacitance) resulting in various signal problems.
As far as ULIfAC board concerns, board is rather small (less than 10cm in length),i use rather wide traces (~0.5mm),double copper thickness, and also gnd and 5v supply traces are ~1mm wide. This minimizes trace resistance/capacitance so i don't think that ULIfAC board design can cause any technical problems, at least on a rather slow 1MHz board like Amstrad CPC...
Hi John, if you have any idea of what could be tested in order to pinpoint the origin of the problem I'm willing to use my (just brought back to life) 464 as a "lab rat".

d_kef

bolton80

Is there any way of having a long-filename file manager? The 8 character limit causes headaches when organising or finding files. 

Don't get me wrong, the ULIFAC is great, but I just wish it had something like Bob Fossil's Spectrum file browser.

ikonsgr

Quote from: bolton80 on 11:24, 15 October 23Is there any way of having a long-filename file manager? The 8 character limit causes headaches when organising or finding files.

Don't get me wrong, the ULIFAC is great, but I just wish it had something like Bob Fossil's Spectrum file browser.
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/hardware-related/usifac-ii-technical-problems-support/msg231893/#msg231893
In 2 words, long filenames are not supported with usb host module, but they supported with pc connection.