News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 drive keeps spinning

Started by kikura, 10:22, 25 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

kikura

Hi,

I have done a search here but have been unable to turn up anything.

I have resurrected my old CPC 6128 and as I no longer had the original monitor, I bought a CTM 644 colour monitor off eBay.

Now when I have it all connected up and switch the monitor on, before switching the computer itself on, the disk drive starts spinning. When I start the 6128, the drive stops, and everything works fine, but this behaviour seems odd to me, and I can't remember if it always did this.

Is this normal function? If not does anyone know of a likely cause?

Thanks,

Nick

arnoldemu

I have a cpc6128 that does this. It doesn't cause any problems for me.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

chinnyhill10

Usually stops after a few seconds after power is applied doesn't it?
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

gerald

Quote from: kikura on 10:22, 25 October 15
Now when I have it all connected up and switch the monitor on, before switching the computer itself on, the disk drive starts spinning. When I start the 6128, the drive stops, and everything works fine, but this behaviour seems odd to me, and I can't remember if it always did this.
The 12V power rail is normally switched within the 6128.
If your drive is spinning when the monitor is on and the CPC off, that mean that the switching transistors are dead short.
When the CPC is off, the motor on signal is held low, which command the drive to actually spin it.
When the cpc is on, the motor on signal is now pulled up and the motor stops.

This should not be a problem in itself.

kikura

Many thank for this. It is not a a major problem, but now I know what the likely problem is, i might try and hunt these transistors down and replace them if it is an easy job (i.e. not surface mount).

Cheers,

Nick

Bryce

It's good old 80's retro, no surface mount :)

Bryce.

kikura

That's what I suspected, but it's been a while since I opened it up.Nice little project for next weekend sorted!  :)