'Palace' Software any Info/Interviews on this company or points of interest..?

Started by Puresox, 20:32, 18 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Puresox

Right , I'm not sure how how well this question will be acknowledged, but thought I'd like to try it anyway, to see if I can glean any interesting stuff on this company?
Its output for the Amstrad was always of high quality IMO, It appeared to me that they put almost as much care into the Amstrad version as the C64 and Spectrum versions. The Cauldron games looked lovely on the CPC, Barbarian also great and ran with no slowdown or lag , same as Barb 2 . They seemed to know how to program the machine , If other companies had given the same attention as Palace , I reckon the label the CPC gets for sluggish gmes would not be there.
If anyone has any pieces on this company or its programmers that they care to share any bits appreciated, likewise if there is another thread on the Wiki , point us in the right direction please.

dodogildo

I remember a great 'making of'  feature on Barbarian a couple of years back. It was probably the Edge Magazine.. Gotta dig this.

And yes, Palace always treated CPC as a great platform, with respect and much love.

Wish we had more like them.
M'enfin!

dcdrac

Palace games I have fond memories of, they did seem to try to work to the machines strengths

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Puresox on 20:32, 18 November 15

If anyone has any pieces on this company or its programmers that they care to share any bits appreciated, likewise if there is another thread on the Wiki , point us in the right direction please.

It was a division of Palace Home video and I have a hazy memory of it sharing the same HQ which was a old cinema in Soho. Another hazy memory says the software division was based in the old projection booth!

Titus purchased the company in 1991 and their attention to the CPC in those late years was because Titus wanted software for the French market. No way would we have got Cauldron 3 if Titus hadn't taken Palace over.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

dodogildo

Quote from: dodogildo on 21:03, 18 November 15
I remember a great 'making of'  feature on Barbarian a couple of years back. It was probably the Edge Magazine.. Gotta dig this.

HAHA I found it!! You'll love it, here you go: http://jamierussell.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Barbarian.pdf
M'enfin!

Puresox

Quote from: dodogildo on 21:44, 18 November 15

HAHA I found it!! You'll love it, here you go: http://jamierussell.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Barbarian.pdf
Nice one Bud ,just what I need!
Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 21:28, 18 November 15

It was a division of Palace Home video and I have a hazy memory of it sharing the same HQ which was a old cinema in Soho. Another hazy memory says the software division was based in the old projection booth!

Titus purchased the company in 1991 and their attention to the CPC in those late years was because Titus wanted software for the French market. No way would we have got Cauldron 3 if Titus hadn't taken Palace over.
Ah I always forget about Cauld 3, that makes sense Titus getting the rights.
Palace Home video division eh , nice lead to look into , cheers.

Puresox

They went the hard route by porting the C64 graphics , rather than the Z80 easy option. This company sounds like they had a bit of integrity . I look forward to reading that Barbarian feature.

The feature on the making of Barbarian was surprisingly well  put together, plenty of info in it. Interesting to hear the views on the British software scene back then and how  America's approach was far more advanced . Games with bigger concepts , rather than the British 'Demo like' scene.

zeropolis79

There was a general feature on it in an 1987 issue of Amstrad Computer User to mark the release of the game Stiffof and co (I can't spell the precisie name)

Also a small feature in issue 80 or 81 of Amstrad Action.

dodogildo

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 22:04, 19 November 15
There was a general feature on it in an 1987 issue of Amstrad Computer User

Here's the ACU's Palace interview from issue 37, 1987.
(Great company indeed!)
M'enfin!

chinnyhill10

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube