News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 using a CTM640 monitor

Started by Amstari, 13:55, 30 July 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Amstari

Hi,

Is it possible to use a 6128 without the extra 12 volts from a CTM644 monitor? Is the 12 volts just used to power the internal disk drive?

I want to connect a 6128 to a CTM640 monitor (the original 464 one - no 12 volt socket). I don't need to use the internal 3" disk drive on the 6128 because I will be connecting an external 3.5" drive which only needs the 5 volts. Will this work?

Cheers,
Steve

Bryce

Yeah, no problem. The 12V is only for the Disk, the rest works perfectly with just the 5V supply.

Bryce.

Amstari

Amstari

Quote from: Bryce on 14:00, 30 July 10
Yeah, no problem. The 12V is only for the Disk, the rest works perfectly with just the 5V supply.

Bryce.

I got a 6128 and as you said it works without the 12v using the external 3.5 drive.

Is it possible that the 12v is also required for the tape socket and headphone socket?

I have connected a MP3 player with audio files converted from CDT to the tape socket and although I can hear it through the internal speaker it is extremely quiet and results in "Read Error A" whenever I try to load a tape. It's the same MP3 player I have previously connected to my 464 with a cassette adaptor.

Also if I connect headphones to the "Stereo" socket the sound is also very quiet.

I do plan to eventually connect 12v to the CPC but would be interested if you know if this could be the problem.

Bryce

Hi Z80A,
      The 12V supply only powered the disk drive motors, it definitely shouldn't have any effect on the tape-in or stereo ouput, it's not even connected to the main PCB. However, the stereo ouput is a line-out signal, so if the speakers you connected were passive (ie: no amplifier), then it would be rather quiet, as the signal strength is well below what a speaker requires. As far as the mp3 player is concerned, experiment with the volume control on the mp3 player and you should find a volume that wont give you read errors, it won't necessarily be the same volume that worked using the cassete adapter.

Bryce.

Amstari

Quote from: Bryce on 22:09, 22 August 10
Hi Z80A,
      The 12V supply only powered the disk drive motors, it definitely shouldn't have any effect on the tape-in or stereo ouput, it's not even connected to the main PCB. However, the stereo ouput is a line-out signal, so if the speakers you connected were passive (ie: no amplifier), then it would be rather quiet, as the signal strength is well below what a speaker requires. As far as the mp3 player is concerned, experiment with the volume control on the mp3 player and you should find a volume that wont give you read errors, it won't necessarily be the same volume that worked using the cassete adapter.

Bryce.

Thanks Bryce. Once again you've been a great help.

I didn't realise that it was only a passive output on the stereo socket. I will try using some amplified speakers. 

With the tape input I've had the MP3 player at full volume and it is still too quiet. Now that I know it is not an issue with the computer I will try connecting some other MP3 players and cassette recorders.

Bryce

Maybe it's too loud? Try lower volumes perhaps?

Bryce.

Amstari

Quote from: Bryce on 13:07, 23 August 10
Maybe it's too loud? Try lower volumes perhaps?

Bryce.

Woohoo! I have it all working now.

The sounds is great through the amplified Logitech speakers I use for a PC.

Also I'm no longer having problems loading via the tape-in cable. I now know the sound of the tape loading is quiet on the 6128 compared to the 464.

Bryce

Congratulations and yes, the stereo sound through PC speakers is excellent compared to the internal speaker.

Bryce.