News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

User Manual for the Soundtrakker

Started by Grim, 19:37, 01 April 09

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim

Hello, I'm looking for the user manuals of the Soundtrakker.

For the Soundtrakker v1.x, I've found the german (the Weeske edition) and a french manual but the english version is still missing (I suppose it exists since the french manual said it was translated from the english manual).

For the Soundtrakker 128 version, I simply haven't found anything yet.

Any informations about the STK manuals would be appreciated! (where to look, who to ask for it -the email I have to contact BSC seems to be dead-, did they ever existed, ...)

Hempman

Are the commands and layout for Soundtrakker 128 so different from those for v1.x? I have Soundtrakker (64) v1.1 and the directions given in the Weeske manual work exactly with my version.  I wonder if there is any need for an English manual for this software, which is really a piece of cake to use. The German manual is a bit of an overkill in my opinion. If you don't manage to find the English manual, I can upload my notes if required.

Hempman

Oh I see:

"ST-128K is a improvement of ST-1.x, introducing for example additional effects."

Hence you will need the manual for ST-128K for details of the new effects commands.

Grim

Indeed, it doesn't really need a manual, that's obviously why it was so popular :)

I'm looking for the manuals for archiving purpose and, eventually, get some official infos about what has been modified/updated since v1.1. At the moment I already have a serious lead to get a copy of the english manual for the v1.1 but I still haven't found anything (manual or original copy of the disc) for the 128 version.

Moreover, while digging in the newsgroup, I've found out (here) that BSC used to have a website with all his Soundtrakker music and the Soundtrakker source-code. But the site no longer exists (and it is not in the wayback machine at archive.org). Needless to say that I would love to get my hands on the Soundtrakker source code but I don't have much hope about that, it seems to be lost forever.

Ygdrazil

A shame about loosing such info..
should have been put in the CPCWIKI.
Maybe contacting BSC directly could help!
/ygdrazil

Quote from: Grim on 16:58, 03 April 09
Indeed, it doesn't really need a manual, that's obviously why it was so popular :)

I'm looking for the manuals for archiving purpose and, eventually, get some official infos about what has been modified/updated since v1.1. At the moment I already have a serious lead to get a copy of the english manual for the v1.1 but I still haven't found anything (manual or original copy of the disc) for the 128 version.

Moreover, while digging in the newsgroup, I've found out (here) that BSC used to have a website with all his Soundtrakker music and the Soundtrakker source-code. But the site no longer exists (and it is not in the wayback machine at archive.org). Needless to say that I would love to get my hands on the Soundtrakker source code but I don't have much hope about that, it seems to be lost forever.

the KING

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 17:38, 03 April 09
/ygdrazil

That's why places like the cpcwiki is so important.
I urge everyone with knowledge, documents and other stuff regarding the CPC to put it on the wiki ASAP, even if the info (at the moment) could be found other places.

If some of you don't know how to do it, or don't feel comfortable editing/writing, contact one of the admins/mods (or even me) and I'm sure you will get the help you need. Don't wait until tomorrow, do it today....

Sorry for the off-topic rant ;-) I just hate seeing things being lost...

Tom

Grim

should have been put in the CPCWIKI.
Totally agree.

Maybe contacting BSC directly could help!
His email address (*@web.de) seems to be dead. And his last message on the german cpc forum is from 24.09.2008... not sure he's still hanging around. Maybe he will be at the Klassentreffen 2009, so someone could ask him there?

Cpcmaniaco

I found my english manual of the version 1.1

I will scan soon and put on the cpcwiki, probably next week.

Gryzor

Ohhh man great stuff!

I know I owe you to upload some more manuals, promise to do it promptly :)

Grim

Cpcmaniaco

Now, we have the manual on the CPCwiki page of the Sound Trakker :

../images/8/87/Sound_Trakker_1.1_Manual.pdf

arnoldemu

Quote from: Grim on 16:58, 03 April 09

I was looking through my computer last night and I found lots of sound trakker stuff that I downloaded a few years ago.
I can't promise anything, but maybe I also downloaded the source.....
I will try to remember to look this weekend.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Ygdrazil

Excellent.. More stuff recovered, I personally would be very much interested in looking at the source.

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:31, 09 April 09
I was looking through my computer last night and I found lots of sound trakker stuff that I downloaded a few years ago.
I can't promise anything, but maybe I also downloaded the source.....
I will try to remember to look this weekend.

Grim

Good news, I got a reply from BSC, he will take look at his Amstrad stuff and see what he could find (as soon as he finishes his retro-trip listening to all the good old soundtrakker tunes :).

Tom & Jerry also sent me an original copy of the Soundtrakker 1.1 and while I was searching in my old floppies for .SNG & .128 files, I stumbled upon the demo version of the Soundtrakker 1.0.

I also found an original copy of the Soundtrakker 128, but the disc is in pretty bad shape, I don't know yet if I will be able to make a dump and fix the files.

I put everything I have at the moment about the Soundtrakker on this webpage:
http://www.grimware.org/doku.php/documentations/software/soundtrakker/
(It's not yet finished and I will probably update it regularly during the next weeks... hmm.. well, maybe months)

I'm still looking for ST128 related stuff and also bothering everyone I know who might have some old .SNG and .128 files somewhere :)

Keep searching people! We're getting close! :)

@Cpcmaniaco: thank you for the manual!

Cpcmaniaco

Hello Grim.

Very good, your Soundtrakker page.

I found on my discs, some songs, etc.

When I make the DSKs I will send you.

I don't see your email on your web.

I tell you here soon.

Gryzor

Ah I'd love to hear some songs, really!

Grim

@Cpcmaniaco: great! my email is grim at cpcscene.com

@Gryzor: there's plenty of stk tunes in the DSKs there. I would recommand listening to Kangaroo, BSC, Tom & Jerry and Targhan. If you're too lazy to run the Soundtrakker and load some tunes, there is, on the same webpage, a video of the Soundtrakker playing Space Debris by BSC (one of my favorite stk music :). Kangaroo also recorded many STK tunes to MP3, but his webpage with the MP3 is gone, dunno if he will put it online again.

Cpcmaniaco

@Grim , I send you and Gryzor an email with 7 disks.

Gryzor

Oh yes he did, and my girlfriend couldn't stand it :D