News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

recommendations for a good cpc power supply

Started by arnoldemu, 19:08, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

I need to find a good power supply for my cpc. I need one which has good power and has enough power for  expansions.

Does anybody recommend where I can buy one?

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

dragon

The one i buy in spain (amazon.es) have 5A  in 5V.

it not cheap, but is a very good power supply, its cold.

NIMO - Alimentador Regulable Universal 5..12Vcc/60W: Amazon.es: Electrónica

You can use it in normal cpc or in plus.It use interchambiable crystal to select the voltage,One crystal=1 voltaje. And is possible select the polarity to other uses.

ir support 100-240v 1200mA input 50-60hz you only need swap the cable to uk type connector. easy to find.

NEW UK Mains Power Lead Cable Cord For Sony Playstation PS4 PS 4 Console | eBay

||C|-|E||

I bought this one the other day at it is really nice:

Hifi linear DC 5V output power 25W USB/amp/DAC/external power supply | eBay

I had to ground it though, but it was actually very easy. The good news about this PSU is that is a linear power supply that does not interfere with old CRT screens...

arnoldemu

BTW, I need them to come with the cables to connect into the CPC or somewhere that sells good quality cables for CPC otherwise I'll try and make my own and have problems again   :picard:

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

VincentGR

The best thing to do is to use a PC PSU.
You cal also use it with other micros, a multipsu  ;D

chinnyhill10

Sigh! How many times does this question get asked? Feels like at least once a week. Gryzor might as well delete the search function from the forum, we appear to be reduced repeating the same thing over and over again. Power supplies and RGB connections.

4 amp power supply from RS. Very high quality and made to UK spec. Won't burn your house down.

ECP-20-5U | 5V dc, 1 Output, 2.1 x 5.5 x 9.5 mm Centre Positive Switch Mode,

Obviously that is 5v only. If you need 12v for a disc drive you'll have to get a separate supply from RS as well (I use an HxC these days so don't need one). There is an Ebay seller who sells converted laptop supplies which do both, I don't much like the look of them.

I won't comment on that Chinese supply other than to say if they didn't bother to earth the metal case then good luck, you'll need it.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

||C|-|E||

With an RS power supply you actually cannot go wrong, agreed  :) . About the chinese one, there is nothing wrong with it if you add the earth, and it is linear, super simple and very easy to repair in case you want to. It just has the transformer, a diode bridge, a voltage regulator and some filter capacitors. The same thing you could assemble yourself at home. However, you should definitely ground it. If you are not using a CRT and you are not worried about interference I would go for the RS one.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 11:32, 08 May 16
With an RS power supply you actually cannot go wrong, agreed  :) . About the chinese one, there is nothing wrong with it if you add the earth, and it is linear, super simple and very easy to repair in case you want to. It just has the transformer, a diode bridge, a voltage regulator and some filter capacitors. The same thing you could assemble yourself at home. However, you should definitely ground it. If you are not using a CRT and you are not worried about interference I would go for the RS one.

It's only the cheap and nasty switched mode PSU's that cause noise. I would be very surprised if the RS unit caused any noise at all. The higher quality units have the filtering that the cheap Chinese ones don't.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

||C|-|E||

All the switching power supplies I have tried, even the RS ones (we use them for some devices in the lab and I tried a few at home) cause some degree of interference with my CM-14. Much less than the chinese PSUs but you can still see it, although in some cases is a minor problem. However, and to be honest, in my hands the CM-14 is much more sensitive than the 644. Actually, with the 644 my bet is that the RS power supply would not cause a visible interference  :)

dragon

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 17:00, 08 May 16
All the switching power supplies I have tried, even the RS ones (we use them for some devices in the lab and I tried a few at home) cause some degree of interference with my CM-14. Much less than the chinese PSUs but you can still see it, although in some cases is a minor problem. However, and to be honest, in my hands the CM-14 is much more sensitive than the 644. Actually, with the 644 my bet is that the RS power supply would not cause a visible interference  :)

Ahh the subworld of power supplys. Really the majority of power supply are remarked power supply, really not exist  to many manufacturers. And take some investigation  to find the specification, but they are simple in the zone of certifications.(year/law))

For example, the mine not is a nimoalm072  is a  amplus  am09257l remarked

Amplus Industrial Ltd.

And these are the true specifications at detail.

http://lmshop.fi/files/products/001/AM09257L_5-12VDC.pdf

The rs are en 55022 class b, but unkown year.