News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WACCI issues

Started by Gryzor, 11:51, 19 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Your JPG ZIP file is still uploading :) Thanks, Zoe! will add them to my 'repo' :)

And indeed, that was the link - decent quality at very low sizes, nicely done!

Zoe Robinson

It should be uploaded now.

CPC_Fan

Thanks for scanning those issues for us all Zoe and for posting the link. Think that I might need to buy some more printer paper very shortly...lol.

Zoe Robinson

I'm highly doubtful these scans are of high enough quality to get a good print out of them. I was under the impression that we weren't going for print-ready quality here.

CPC_Fan

Yeah sorry I meant just trying for myself really, just to see what a small selection of pages print out like.

Gryzor

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 15:26, 10 May 16
I'm highly doubtful these scans are of high enough quality to get a good print out of them. I was under the impression that we weren't going for print-ready quality here.

which ones are you referring to?

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:37, 10 May 16
which ones are you referring to?

The ones I made. I didn't scan at 300dpi because it would make the scans huge, I scanned at a lower resolution so they could be read clearly on a screen and still downloaded quickly.

Gryzor

Ah, I see. Well. My test scan was at 200dpi and I printed a test page - it came out really good. So I guess it's not a big deal...

Darren

Is there a list of the missing issues?  I have some later ones in a box at home.

CPC_Fan

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:04, 10 May 16
Ah my mistake, I don't have Clive's address. I do have *an* address but he didn't reply to me, instead posting here, so maybe he saw the link elsewhere. But I emailed Peter and asked him for you.

By the way: another member here alerted me to the presence of more issues online, some 13 of them! Will check them out and update the list...

Hmm... Maybe it might be worth you sending me the email address that you have got for Clive, so that I can email him and see if I can arrange something directly with him? What do you think? I really don't want to miss the opportunity to get all the WACCI issues online if at all possible, especially as I did write some articles for it over a period of time.

CPC_Fan

Quote from: Cpcmaniaco on 09:30, 08 May 16
I have from 30 to the last issue.

I don't know how busy you are, but is there any chance that you would be able to scan them and put them up online somewhere?

CPC_Fan

Just a quick update. I have now picked up the issues Peter has and will try and start the large task of scanning them in, once I have returned home from my parents. The only problem is that I don't know where to host them or how to put them online in the first place. Not got a website of my own. Any suggestions/ideas anyone?

Gryzor

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 12:26, 16 May 16
Just a quick update. I have now picked up the issues Peter has and will try and start the large task of scanning them in, once I have returned home from my parents. The only problem is that I don't know where to host them or how to put them online in the first place. Not got a website of my own. Any suggestions/ideas anyone?

Oh fantastic news!!!! Which issues are they, and do you still need Clive's address?

As for hosting, no problem of course, I'll give you access to a hoster of mine :) I know I've got owncloud somewhere!

CPC_Fan

The issues that I have got from Peter are as follows: 28, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 and 94. So as you can see, there is a lot of scanning to be done!  :o :o This will obviously take a fair amount of time, but I will give it my best shot.

Yes I would still like Clive's email address please Gryzor, as there is a small chance that I may be able to go and pick up all the issues that he has directly from him. Obviously I need to check that this is ok with him first.

Thanks for the offer of hosting them, much appreciated. I will take you up on it once I have started to scan the issues that I have got and I am sure that they have come out ok.

reidrac

Any chance we get those into archive.org?

There are already some magazines in there:

- Amstrad Action Magazine : Free Texts : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
- Amtix Magazine : Free Texts : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
- CPC Attack Magazine : Free Texts : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
- Amstrad Semanal Magazine : Free Texts : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive (Spanish)

An probably others. I'm not sure how easy or difficult would be to add new material, but we could as Jason Scott and he may give us some pointers.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Gryzor

@CPC_Fan : if you can, please update the file over at WACCI issues.xlsx - Google Sheets as you go! I'll send you his email through PM now.

And of course no worries, my pleasure :)

CPC_Fan

Thanks for PM ing Clive's email address to me Gryzor. I will try and update the file once each issue is done if I can.

Gryzor

Ah, just to say that Philip Dirichleau got back and gave us his blessing, and also said he may have a complete set... I think we're going somewhere!!

robcfg

That's excellent news!

Glad to see the authors give us their blessing.

Keep up the good work, guys!

CPC_Fan

Got a reply back from Clive today to the email that I sent him late last night. Things are looking good so far. He is quite happy for me to email him and indeed wants me to email him back. So with a bit of luck and a few more emails, I should hopefully be able to sort something out for all the issues that are not currently available online. Please bear with me though, as it is not set in stone yet.

Also I wrote a letter to John Bowley yesterday and sent it to his last known address. Hopefully he will get it and be in touch with me soon. I think that only leaves Paul Dwerryhouse to find now and get his permission, or am I wrong?

Tigger

I regret to inform that Paul Dwerryhouse and his wife Lesley died a few years ago

Philip DiRichleau

SevenT

Hi folks

Glad to see that so many of the original WACCI crew are still alive and kicking... and most importantly - on here!      Hi y'all.

There seems to be a little consternation going around about the legality of the archiving of electronically copied issues of WACCI. Just to set the record straight here is a copy of an email I have just sent to Gryzor (and I hope he doesn't mind me taking the liberty of posting it here before asking him - but I'm sure he'll forgive me.)

I just got off the phone after chatting with Philip DiRichleau and I was a) glad that you and he are in contact now and b) a little bit concerned about what he had to tell me about possible copyright infringement threats made against you by a certain third party.

For the record... I bought the company "WACCI" and all the ensuing rights to it back in back in 1988 from, its then owner, Jeff Walker. I was the sole owner and I ran it as an ongoing business for my personal profit.  I still own the name WACCI, the intellectual rights and the format of the magazine - to this day it is still my property - I never relinquished my ownership of the company known as WACCI.

In 1991 I had had enough of producing the magazine and "passed on" the right to continue produce the magazine using the name WACCI and the WACCI format to the newly established "WACCI Club" which had been organized, chiefly, by Uncle Clive Bellaby and several other interested WACCI magazine subscribers. The agreement was that WACCI would be run on a "club" basis (an entity which was wholly separate from my WACCI business) and that no one member of the club would financially benefit from the magazine. The WACCI club was owned and run by its members and its constitution specifically stated that any profits made would be ploughed back in to the running of the club.

Phil pointed out to me that recently a certain person - somehow involved with the WACCI club back in the day - may have (erroneously) inferred that he might be unhappy with your plan to set up an "official" online archive of the WACCI magazine because it may disrupt his (illegal) sales of back-issues of the magazine. I can assure you that no one apart from myself has the legal right to object to your proposed project - not only do I endorse it wholeheartedly but I am deeply humbled to think that after all these years anyone would even consider undertaking such a Herculean task.

To this day I am still the sole owner of all intellectual rights to the WACCI name and magazine format. No one else can disapprove or threaten legal action against you, your site or any of its members for going ahead with scanning and putting ALL the available issues of WACCI you can obtain.

I am sure that if you ask any of the subsequent Editors of the magazine (who are still alive), Clive, Phil, John, Dave et al.  would echo my sentiments.

In short - no one else apart from myself has the legal right to object to your archiving project and what is worse, no one should be still selling back-issues of the magazine (for what is obviously personal financial gain) so long after the WACCI club was officially dissolved. As the legal owner of the WACCI magazine I am quite happy for you to put ALL of the issues online.

Should any questions about this matter arise in the future I suggest you direct the questioner straight to me and my lawyer will be more than happy to answer them in full.

Yours

Steve Williams RN............................................................                 (SevenT  aka  OMG).....................................................

CraigsBar

Truely awesome news, OK so we are decided that 200 DPI works, after scanning is anyone up for the even more herculean task of OCR and checking the text is right. It'd be great to have the whole collection searchable.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

SevenT

Quote from: andycadley on 17:55, 19 April 16
I think the problem is that Brian(possibly???) who was in charge of WACCI still saw it as a going concern for a long time and was reluctant to allow anyone to reproduce it as he was still selling back issues.

No idea if that's still the case or indeed whether he'd already have digital versions of them.

It's most certainly NOT the case Andy. Until this day I still own ALL the rights to the WACCI magazine copyrights, I bought the business from Jeff Walker and I never relinquished it. I merely gave the WACCI club my permission to continue publishing a CPC magazine with the name and format of WACCI. No one has ever purchased those rights from myself or even dared to suggest that they own them. Brian Watson has no right to be selling back issues of the magazine for what can only be his personal gain - any profits should have been ploughed back into the upkeep of the WACCI club.

Note that WACCI never legally had any "members" as such until Uncle Clive & Co. started up the WACCI club - up until that point WACCI only had subscribers.

And to the point of repeating myself - yet again - I heartily endorse the archiving of all past issues of WACCI and humbly thank (in advance) all of the people who are volunteering to undertake such a mammoth task. More power to your combined elbows. I am very grateful to you all.

That is the ONLY permission that you need to hear.

Steve Williams RN (owner and sole proprietor of WACCI)

SevenT

Quote from: CraigsBar on 09:28, 20 May 16
Truely awesome news, OK so we are decided that 200 DPI works, after scanning is anyone up for the even more herculean task of OCR and checking the text is right. It'd be great to have the whole collection searchable.

Oh nay nay and thrice nay Craig. Do not touch a hair upon any of my babies heads... they need to be viewed as they were originally sent out - warts, snotty noses and all. Part of the joy of reading WACCI was trying to spot the fluffs, boobs and goofs (or is it "gooves?) If you start to go around correcting, remixing and "air-brushing" the original magazines you'll remove some of the deeply deep joy you can get from reading them and going "I wonder how they did that effect back in the days before DTP???"

I am serious here... just scan them and post them up here as they were originally sent out in the Royal Mail - otherwise you'll just end up with a mess like McCartney did when he buggered around with the original Master Tapes of the "Let It Be" LP! Please don't try putting lipstick on a pig - even if it is your absolute favorite cutest Vietnamese pot-belly pig called Pretty Pink Pigella.... even the cutest pigs who get dressed in spandex, shades, a cool fedora and a tutu just end up looking ridiculous potential ingredients for a damn good bacon sandwich.

Don't go all George Lucas like on a deeply misguided Star Wars type trip - everyone actually wants to see the first print of Star Wars that came out in 1977 not the 120th "improvement" he churned out last week. So no OCRing, no spell-checking, no reformatting, no substituting Hi-res pics for the older chunky ones, no airbrushing over the reality - the great CPC unwashed need to be able to see the real article that WACCI subscribers paid good wonga to receive through their letterbox every month.

If the scan is of a page that has a crease in it... that's how the readers read it back in the day. Leave it in or scan a copy that doesn't have a crease.

Seriously I gave my permission to create an archive of WACCIs not a representation of what they could have been had they been produced in 2016. You may as well go and OCR the Gutenberg Bible or add an outboard motor to the Cutty Sark. Don't go re-editing my original editing work.

SevenT   (STeven)