News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Glenco Sprites Alive Package , --Space Froggy.

Started by Puresox, 22:58, 24 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Puresox

Any programmers utilise this software? The game Space Froggy is a stunning example imo . Anyone have any interesting info on the product, or have any examples of other games written using this software?

rk last

I had a go at making a game with this a few years back before I lacked the time to complete it.  My game was a helicopter inside a cavern thing.  Sadly, that game is lost forever as it was stored on my old laptop.

I did have a formula that was ideal for the additional screen sizes.  It tidied everything up on the x & y axis's.  I`ll scratch my head and get back to you on that one.  Its the same piece of code that works with OUT &BC00 & OUT &BD00 - when altering the screen size.

Talking of different screen sizes I`m not totally sure on this but...If you leave your games screen as the default size, maybe you can create a game loader that uses the OUT command to create you own customised screen size?

Visit here for a list of games made with the software (bottom of the page)

sprites alive &copy glenco (1990)
maRK

Zoe Robinson

Wasn't that Tracker game from the late AA issues made in Sprites Alive?

Morri

Quote from: Puresox on 22:58, 24 July 16
Any programmers utilise this software? The game Space Froggy is a stunning example imo . Anyone have any interesting info on the product, or have any examples of other games written using this software?
I have done 2 games using sprites alive. One with the basic version (using RSX extensions) and the other using the compiler version just to see what they could do.
I really enjoyed using them and the thought to make more games with them has crossed my mind.

The 1st game is Eternal Light and the 2nd is the Eternal light 2.

Have a look and see what you think. The first one has had a revisions done mainly to loading the stages as a .BIN file instead of POKEing them in and the odd speed change from memory.
Anyway, you are welcome to use any of the code if it helps and feel free to ask any questions.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

Morri

Quote from: rk last on 23:56, 24 July 16Talking of different screen sizes I`m not totally sure on this but...If you leave your games screen as the default size, maybe you can create a game loader that uses the OUT command to create you own customised screen size?
There is a command in sprites alive that alters the screen dimensions. It is the lSCREEN command (see page 9). I used this for Eternal Light 2, changing the screen to be the maximum possible width, shorter height.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 01:24, 25 July 16

Not to my knowledge. The BASIC version of Sprites Alive is quite extensive, I'm unsure if any Type-ins authors included it as part of their program though.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Skunkfish

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 01:24, 25 July 16

Are you referring to Trakers by Gary and Scott Kennedy? If so, I'm pretty sure that was 100% assembler but I could be wrong...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Skunkfish on 09:53, 25 July 16
Are you referring to Trakers by Gary and Scott Kennedy? If so, I'm pretty sure that was 100% assembler but I could be wrong...

How ironic, I was thinking of the Tracker game from AA79!  ;D

Forgot about this Trakers game they reviewed, I couldn't read all the text they had in the Home Brew box.  :(  Guess if the Sprites Alive Compiler was involved, a Quick Disassemble of that program with another known Sprites Alive program would reveal if it was written using it.

Your Computer Programs

Zoe Robinson

Yeah, I'm talking about Trakers, I just couldn't quite remember the name of the game.

I'm pretty sure I read that it was made using Sprites Alive but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that was wrong.

Skunkfish

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 11:02, 25 July 16
I'm pretty sure I read that it was made using Sprites Alive but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that was wrong.

Perhaps someone can confirm?

Or it could be the memory playing some curious tricks. The Space Froggy games made using Sprites Alive were written by 'Gary Scott''. Trakers was made by 'Gary & Scott Kennedy', perhaps your memory is linking the two?  ;D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Zoe Robinson

Puresox

Quote from: Morri on 01:44, 25 July 16
I have done 2 games using sprites alive. One with the basic version (using RSX extensions) and the other using the compiler version just to see what they could do.
I really enjoyed using them and the thought to make more games with them has crossed my mind.

The 1st game is Eternal Light and the 2nd is the Eternal light 2.

Have a look and see what you think. The first one has had a revisions done mainly to loading the stages as a .BIN file instead of POKEing them in and the odd speed change from memory.
Anyway, you are welcome to use any of the code if it helps and feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks , I had a look at 'Eternal Light 2' and found it enjoyable nice graphics and smooth, will be checking out EL1 soon . Great scrolling message always love these.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Skunkfish on 11:34, 25 July 16
Perhaps someone can confirm?

Or it could be the memory playing some curious tricks. The Space Froggy games made using Sprites Alive were written by 'Gary Scott''. Trakers was made by 'Gary & Scott Kennedy', perhaps your memory is linking the two?  ;D

I had a look at The Eternal Light 2 game, which uses the Sprites Alive Compiler, around &8E10 there's some Error Code Messages, but they aren't present in Trakers at that locality and couldn't find anything resembling Error Messages, so it doesn't look like it.

Your Computer Programs

Zoe Robinson

Nice bit of digging there. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I had the software back in the day - 1990 ish or thereabouts. It was a lot of fun, nice to have some commands in basic for graphics, and an editor and a compiler-of-sorts.

I quite liked the Tetris clone that came with the software, as well as Space Froggy.

God knows if I actually did anything useful with it in the end though. My memory is vague and I got an A500 and AMOS soon after.