News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Retro Game Asset Studio BETA

Started by lachlank, 03:12, 05 May 12

Previous topic - Next topic

lachlank

Ah woops no it doesn't - there is a test program in there but it's not outputting it at the moment. Will put that on the to-do list. You can download the old AMSprite, that has the test program that you can compile with WinAPE. It's pretty crude, just draws the sprite and let's you move it around with cursor keys. Look forward to hearing your thoughts, hope it doesn't crash too much.

Lachlan

Ynot.zer0

:laugh:
only got one exception thrown so far....  That was trying to use the level designer, was clicking around on the empty blocks trying to figure out how to use it   I have a vague memory from AMSprite that I needed to create sprites first and then I can place them into the locations of the level designer?  anyway, it threw a negative exception error at that point (cos I didn't have any sprites created?) but allowed me to continue.  I then went to take a look at the help file linked on the install, it's still all AMSprite orientated (just an observation).

What it did do very nicely is convert a photo of my basset hound into a loading screen - and it did it very well indeed!  I just might use this as a way to get great 8-bit versions of photos!
I'll keep playing around and see where I get to in the next 1.5 days....

Ynot.zer0

If I create a new sprite and select [ ] add to level designer, all is good.  When I switch to the level designer I see the sprite at the top of the screen and can select it and place it on the level designer area.

However, if I return back to the sprite editing screen, re-select the sprite and show properties, the [ ] add to level designer is not checked.  Whilst this in itself isn't an issue, as the Sprite is still available in the level designer.... if I created a new sprite and didn't check this checkbox, I can no longer go back and check it to be available in the level designer.  I even tried to copy the sprite and change the property on the copied one.  nope, will not let me check the checkbox to use it in the level designer.

apart from that, it seems to be pretty stable....

lachlank

Just uploaded an update, can download from main wiki page or here http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/6/6d/RGAS.zip (just re-run installer). Fixes a few bugs. I can't reproduce your level designer error when no sprites loaded. If you get any further errors can you please send stack trace (under details on error dialog)? Level designer needs extending so that it can scroll and allow entry of tile aspect ratio etc.

Cheers

Lachlan

Ynot.zer0

okay, installed latest version.  Still cannot select the checkbox to add a sprite to level designer after I've created it - and oddly now, if I create a new sprite I select add to level designer but it doesn't show up.
What I do get now is a level designer all in black instead of white.  So, If I add a new level (the label height says name - minor thing) and then I notice there are no sprites available, I press X to delete and then select 'yes'.  I get an exception error.  I think this is what I did before.
Here's the exception error:
Spoiler: ShowHide

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
   at RGAS.LevelDesigner.btnDeleteSprite_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\Programming\Projects\DotNet\AmstradSpriteEditor\TRUNK\AmstradSpriteEditor\LevelDesigner.vb:line 305
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5456 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
RGAS
    Assembly Version: 0.9.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.9.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Retro%20Game%20Asset%20Studio/0.9/RGAS.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5460 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5462 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
2wusisys
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.4506.5420 (Win7SP1.030729-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/3.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
AForge.Imaging
    Assembly Version: 2.2.4.0
    Win32 Version: 2.2.4.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Retro%20Game%20Asset%20Studio/0.9/AForge.Imaging.DLL
AForge
    Assembly Version: 2.2.4.0
    Win32 Version: 2.2.4.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Retro%20Game%20Asset%20Studio/0.9/AForge.DLL
System.Threading
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2856.102
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2856.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Retro%20Game%20Asset%20Studio/0.9/System.Threading.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

lachlank

Thanks have fixed some more stuff and updated again. Haven't tested level designer much as I want to give it a makeover soon.

New version here http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/6/6d/RGAS.zip

Cheers

Lachlan

lachlank

Have updated to latest version, level editor is now improved. Each level can have a tile aspect ratio set, as well as a default background colour. The editor itself now supports zooming and scrolling.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/6/6d/RGAS.zip

lachlank

Have just tested this on my jailbroken Surface RT, works well, have uploaded raw .exe to wiki page.

Now just need someone to either recompile an existing emulator for ARM (Windows RT), or port to "Modern UI/Metro" Windows 8 app. Preferably WinAPE so I can program on Surface!

fgbrain

Sorry to bring this topic back.

Since in the wiki page you can still find the previous version, I have to share here the latest version
Lachlank kindly fixed for me, after I contacted him on 3/3/2014.

There was a bug that pallette files were not exported to assembly listing. Now fixed.

ATB
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

EgoTrip

I don't know if this is still being developed but there is something that really bugs me. The way the list box always auto-scrolls so the selected tile is at the bottom is driving me crazy. Can you stop that happening in the next build please?

lachlank

I've just released a new version of RGAS (1.1) with a few enhancements (most suggested by user @EgoTrip thx!):

* Upgraded to .Net Framework 4.0 from 3.5.
* Copying pixels from sprite stores both text(JSON) and bitmap data on clipboard
* Sprite list now maintains position on refresh
* Sprite list allows multi-select drag re-order.
* Level designer allows editing of level parameters
* Level designer has gridlines option
* Level designer image quality improved
* Level designer allows duplicating of levels
* Amstrad font samples available when creating new project
* Change output format from drop-down menu on toolbar
* Add tooltip to tiles on level designer for sprite name
* Single portable .exe rather than a collection of .dlls

Attached to this post or available from the wiki page, or bundled with the next version of CPCTelera.

Fessor

Am i the only one under (K)ubuntu with this Problem?

mono rgas.exe

Error loading UIA bridge (UiaDbusBridge, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f4ceacb585d99812): System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'UiaDbusBridge, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f4ceacb585d99812' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'UiaDbusBridge, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f4ceacb585d99812'
  at System.AppDomain.Load (System.String assemblyString, System.Security.Policy.Evidence assemblySecurity, Boolean refonly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.AppDomain.Load (System.String assemblyString) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.AppDomain:Load (string)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load (System.String assemblyString) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Automation.Provider.BridgeManager.GetAutomationBridge (System.String bridgeAssemblyName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 4.0.4 (Stable [url=http://4.0.4.1/5ab4c0d]4.0.4.1/5ab4c0d[/url] Tue Aug 25 23:11:51 UTC 2015)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. [url=http://www.mono-project.com]Home | Mono[/url]
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       altstack
        Notifications: epoll
        Architecture:  amd64
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            sgen

lachlank

Hi I've finally got around to testing RGAS properly on Linux/Mono rather than just Windows Mono. This has allowed me to fix a few performance issues and bugs.

The version of Linux I am testing with is a VMWare image downloaded from osboxes.org, Ubuntu 15.10. I installed Mono as per the instructions here, which turned out to be pretty simple for a Linux n00b like me. Otherwise the OS is vanilla as downloaded.

I found a major performace bug and another bug that prevented importing and converting bitmaps. These would've made the system virtually unusable under Linux.

The latest release which includes these fixes, v1.1.1, is attached.

Fessor

dragon

It not work for me 1.1 simply crash launching :( . I not have problems with 1.0 (winxp)

lachlank

I've just released v1.2.1 of RGAS, with the following changes:

• Check for newer versions at startup
  • Export level to bitmap
  • Level designer list now supports same functions as sprite list (copy, re-order etc).
  • Option to generate level data in RLE (Run Length Encoding) format
  • Option to output width/height bytes at beginning of sprite data (supports 8BP library/framework 8 bits de poder)
Download from the RGAS page here Retro Game Asset Studio - CPCWiki or attachment

Any bugs let me know by replying here.

Morri

Thanks @lachlank . I enjoy using this tool for my sprites and level layouts.

One question - the sprite data that is output to Basic DATA statements, what code would be required to read and display this in BASIC code?
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

lachlank

Quote from: Morri on 23:36, 08 August 16
One question - the sprite data that is output to Basic DATA statements, what code would be required to read and display this in BASIC code?

Hi, I haven't written anything in CPC Basic in about 25 years but would imagine if you wanted a purely basic-based game engine you could read the data and POKE it to required screen address. Performance would probably be pretty awful. Better to use one of the various libraries that lets you use machine-code based sprite drawing routines from BASIC. One I just became aware of, and works with RGAS output, is 8BP which adds a bunch of RSX(|) sprite-drawing commands to basic. If you wanted to write a game in basic without learning C or assembler, I would look at that, it looks pretty professional (docs are in spanish but Google Translate does a good job). To be honest, your best bang for buck would be to learn C and use CPCTelera, it's no harder than basic and you can use a proper text editor on a modern PC. You don't need to learn assembler to create something that performs very well (although being able to read assembler greatly simplifies debugging).

Hope that helps.

AMSDOS

I just wrote a small BASIC routine in the other thread (complete with screenshot), to obtain the byte DATA for a sprite, naturally it only works when a graphic is position top-corner of the screen.

So I'm unsure what @Morri had in mind.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Morri

Thanks, I didn't have anything in mind. I just saw RGAS had various output formats and wondered if there was a way I hadn't heard of yet. POKEing the bytes makes sense and would be slow.

Also thanks for the 8BP heads up. This looks like an interesting project with sprites, in game music, collision detection and more already developed all using RSX extensions. Using translate I see that there are plans for scrolling. If this works out, I would like to try and make a game with this tool.

Are any of the 8BP team members here? Any plans for versions in other languages?
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

AMSDOS

Cheers, it's being interesting reading the little M$ earlier in this thread.  :laugh:
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

fgbrain

Is it only me? When I run latest  RGAS.EXE I get this error:  (win XP)

_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

EgoTrip

Quote from: fgbrain on 10:32, 09 August 16

I'm not getting that error on Windows 8.1

EgoTrip

It wont open older projects.

lachlank

Quote from: fgbrain on 10:32, 09 August 16

Hi, I haven't got an XP machine to try it on, but it should work OK. Most likely .Net framework 4.0 is not installed, see here to install: Installing the .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP | .NET Blog