News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

R-Type - Amstrad 128k version - the fullest upload

Started by ZEUSDAZ, 22:33, 20 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEUSDAZ

Hi Ammy world  :D
I had an urgent request from a Youtuber "ICE8629" asking me to produce a full longplay of the very nice Easter Egg version of R-Type and to include if possible the secret level (level 0 - which is accessed through the mouth of the Mother ship on level 3) because no upload seems to show it,...so who was I to say no ;-)
In this upload is the full intro, full soundtrack without sound FX, staff credit screen and the secret level (all starting times are shown on the original video located on my channel).
I have used the invincy cheat which can be selected on the title screen after a secret code is entered,...just don't have the time to practice it enough to play without cheats what with all the stuff I'm doing with the channel but everything is included making it the fullest Youtube longplay,...and yes I know,...I made a hash of of the Mother ship on level 3 but didn't have time to redo it showing clearly I'm using the inviny cheat ;-)
Enjoy this very nice remake on the 6128  :D

reidrac

I don't have a 128K and I can't enjoy the game other than in an emulator, and I didn't know really how much I could trust the result.

Thanks for the video!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Neil79

Even though I enjoyed playing the game, I found to be laggy and slow at times, it's a shame the performance couldn't be improved :(
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

reidrac

Quote from: Neil79 on 12:08, 21 October 16
Even though I enjoyed playing the game, I found to be laggy and slow at times, it's a shame the performance couldn't be improved :(

Yes, I though it was the emulator perhaps not doing a great job in my system (I use windows emulators in Linux and very often my own games play better on the real hw).

It is still a good effort and the best conversion if you want to play R-Type on a CPC.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Puresox

Laggy ? Never noticed that, what parts ? I find it hard to believe what people think the machine is capable of .

Neil79

Quote from: Puresox on 14:13, 21 October 16
Laggy ? Never noticed that, what parts ? I find it hard to believe what people think the machine is capable of .

I noticed it straight away compared to when enemies are on screen, compared to when they are not. The same slow down feeling is also apparent in games such as Rick Dangerous :) . Not sure why when ever I mention this it gets some people upset  :laugh:

- Amstrad CPC 6128 HW -
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Puresox

Never notice in Rick dangerous ,I just find it hard to believe that you think that you are going to get anything , other than a simple game without scrolling or sprites ,to move or work like a scrolling C64 game and a spectrum come to that . Its common knowledge that the CPC is hampered by the Screen memory crap.
At best a CPC game is gonna look sweet , play a reasonable game. It's never gonna be a speed merchant on scrolling games.
What games do you reckon Rtype is inferior too?Out of interest?

I think there is plenty of reason to rip into some of the efforts we have had , but I think R type is going to be as fine as your gonna get on the cpc , Scrolling, Music, Sharp Graphics. Plus the fact wasn't RType using partial code of the original Rtype version?

I got it in the Neck for laying into Double Dragon 3 , That I feel is justified for calling out .

Neil79

Seriously mate don't get so upset just because someone thinks it's a little laggy or slow, especially when the overall feedback was still positive "  enjoyed playing the game ". That's all i'll say on the matter :)

Puresox

Quote from: Neil79 on 16:51, 21 October 16
Seriously mate don't get so upset just because someone thinks it's a little laggy or slow, especially when the overall feedback was still positive "  enjoyed playing the game ". That's all i'll say on the matter :)
I don't think you can define me being upset , I just don't see the justification for laying into Easter Eggs production ? You should Know by now that I will rabbit on about anything ,and I will stand up for a piece of work or rip into a piece of work . I just don't consider your point fair ?

It's like asking a ZX81 to produce colour ,it's not built for it.
Or a BMX to do the tour de france lol

Puresox

I get it in the neck from both sides of the perspective tbh '. I would say that at least suggests that I am not being biased . Just being balanced about the machine , passionate interest would define it. I respect most of the machines but recognise there deficiencies and you have to rule them out .
MSX is shit hot machine in the right hands despite the shocking scrolling. just accept its limitations
Spectrum. Really fast playability , but poor colour pallete and colour clash
C64, pretty much all round arcade beast , let down sometimes by wishy washy colours , and 3d games too slow
BBC , early 80's brilliant arcade ports and great 8-bit games ,
Electron, Sorry can't say a good word about this one
Dragon , Quirky

ivarf

This version scored only 97% in Retro Gamer. Just imagine how good it could have been if it was written for the CPC from the start. This is still a port from the Spectrum version although a very good one. In my opinion we wouldn't have that character scroll if it had been written from scratch today by someone as capable as Fano and his crew

TotO

In fact, we never wanted to write a new R-Type game from scratch but to do a better "speccy port".
And yes, the ingame engine had been not the same if it was wished to be a "new game".
By the way we are proud about the result and the feedbacks was greats.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

andycadley

Anyone who can do better is more than welcome to to try.

I think it is too easy to forget that the character scrolling is part of the reason it is capable of a consistent speed, even with things like the level three space ship. It's an 8-bit machine copying a pretty hard core arcade game, it isn't ever going to be perfect.

ZEUSDAZ

Quote from: TotO on 21:55, 21 October 16
In fact, we never wanted to write a new R-Type game from scratch but to do a better "speccy port".
And yes, the ingame engine had been not the same if it was wished to be a "new game".
By the way we are proud about the result and the feedbacks was greats.

I'm not the greatest fan of Amstrad and It's games but for someone that's been playing retro games on many systems for over 30yrs I can honestly say this is a very good update and I enjoyed playing it all the way through, it certainly would have been highly praised if this was released back in the day instead of the poor port of the brilliant speccy version.
I personally think if any Ammy fan moans about this update then they need to think again as this 128k version may never have happened meaning they would have to always settle for the dull original version,...so stop moaning boys and be grateful this version even saw the light of day,...yes It's a little on the slow jerky side but c'mon,...those issues have plagued Amstrad games for years, It's just part of the deal.

Anyway, well done Easter Egg for even trying, I will be contacting you through PM shortly for promotional reasons.

ZEUSDAZ

Quote from: Puresox on 15:26, 21 October 16
I got it in the Neck for laying into Double Dragon 3 , That I feel is justified for calling out .

Cor, don't feel bad calling DD3 out, that was totally SHITE!,...scored very highly on my Shit-O-Meter on the SGT section of my channel,...total unplayable garbage,...the scrolling jerked more than a guy with a serious masterbation addiction problem  :picard2:

Puresox

Quote from: ZEUSDAZ on 02:27, 22 October 16
I'm not the greatest fan of Amstrad and It's games but for someone that's been playing retro games on many systems for over 30yrs I can honestly say this is a very good update and I enjoyed playing it all the way through, it certainly would have been highly praised if this was released back in the day instead of the poor port of the brilliant speccy version.
I personally think if any Ammy fan moans about this update then they need to think again as this 128k version may never have happened meaning they would have to always settle for the dull original version,...so stop moaning boys and be grateful this version even saw the light of day,...yes It's a little on the slow jerky side but c'mon,...those issues have plagued Amstrad games for years, It's just part of the deal.

Anyway, well done Easter Egg for even trying, I will be contacting you through PM shortly for promotional reasons.
As an Amstrad owner as a kid , I can honestly say that I am definitely pleased I got the CPC instead of a Speccy , much as I respect the machine and how well it was mastered ,the richness of the display, the ease of use (tape player etc) make us brought up on  CPC pretty happy . Just as I expect the mammoth bunch of Speccy owners were happy with there offering despite it's shortcomings. I think it's a class thing  :P . The C64 was a great games machine though and in it's unsophisticated world of hedonism it was king no doubt . CPC was the all round king  :P :P

fano

I'd be happy if you find a way to improve speed, the source code is avaible so please show me where it could be improved dramaticaly.
I may have idea, like remove this shitty pixel scroll for char one like MSX version, remove some enemies, remove destructible layer on level 4, giant batteship on level 3, maybe the background animations on some levels, and so reduce some bosses size.

Seriously and to be honnest, on some levels i've been surprised it runs so fine compared from what i expected for the poor Z80.
Like we do with R-Type CPC version, deal with it or redo it better.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Nich

Quote from: ivarf on 21:49, 21 October 16
This version scored only 97% in Retro Gamer.

Actually, it only scored 82%, in issue 101 - much too low in my opinion.

TotO

Quote from: Nich on 16:48, 23 October 16
Because a bug occured during the review. Just stupid as a random bug not change a game...  :-\
It was hard to find but fixed and the score updated to 97% on the issue 102.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Xyphoe

Quote from: ZEUSDAZ on 22:33, 20 October 16
I had an urgent request from a Youtuber "ICE8629" asking me to produce a full longplay of the very nice Easter Egg version of R-Type and to include if possible the secret level (level 0 - which is accessed through the mouth of the Mother ship on level 3) because no upload seems to show it,...so who was I to say no ;-)

Yea I saw that fairly rude comment by ICE8629 on my video  ::)
He could have just asked me and I would have done it. I either wasn't aware of it at the time (TotO didn't say anything) or the version I'm playing didn't include it because it was sent early to me. I can't remember now, it seems such a long time ago.

Anyway, nice video - well done.

TotO

I think that everyone can understand why secrets stages was not part of the original game but are hidden bonus.
Xyphoe done a great longplay (w/o crash) with the first release. Some things was updated 1 month later into a second release:
- Fixed a random bug that may crash the game at Stage 4
- Updated the Stage 2 tile set and boss
- Updated the Stage 5 sprites
- Added the "DOT EAT" bonus (except stage 1)
- Added the MASTER MODE (second run with gold logo)

ivarf

Quote from: Nich on 16:48, 23 October 16
True, but it was reviewed again after an update.

.... Edit - just noticed that this already has been answered. I would have sworn that it didn't happen the next issue...

ZEUSDAZ

Quote from: Xyphoe on 20:44, 23 October 16
Yea I saw that fairly rude comment by ICE8629 on my video  ::)
He could have just asked me and I would have done it. I either wasn't aware of it at the time (TotO didn't say anything) or the version I'm playing didn't include it because it was sent early to me. I can't remember now, it seems such a long time ago.

Anyway, nice video - well done.

I never intended to do a longplay of this simply because I have many more vids to crack on with and knowing yourself already did it I wasn't in a hurry to do it myself,...but when a sub asks I always put it in the que,...it was actually the "level 0" not being shown which is what geared me up to do it,...so it certainly wasn't done to steal your thunder,...in fact I didn't link the longplay I know about to your channel, still, hey ho ay  :D

Thanks for checking it out.

TotO

The secret about the R-Type easter-egg's was kept during 1 year.
Next, we have allowed cpc-power.com (r-type secrets) to speak about, as they have found them with the brutal force. (looking the floppy content)
And we have put public the game source code and resources for peoples who wants to learn about.
So, since 3 years now, anybody interrested by our game can known about all those things.

And as I know, the Stage 0 video was already done close to  2 years ago.

And more:

Nich

Quote from: ivarf on 21:51, 23 October 16
True, but it was reviewed again after an update.

.... Edit - just noticed that this already has been answered. I would have sworn that it didn't happen the next issue...

The updated rating was 94% in issue 104. I've amended the entry for Retro Gamer on CPCWiki accordingly.