News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Symbos 3.0 CPC RC1 - 14-11-2016 Problems

Started by Audronic, 04:14, 27 December 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

@Prodatron
Et All
Symbos 3.0 CPC RC1 - 14-11-2016

After about 10-15 Hours of Mucking about with Symbos 3.0 CPC RC1 - 14-11-2016

It finally works under the following conditions :-

1)  From Floppy OK ( Abireo Mouse works)
2)  From Hard drive D: Run"SYM.BAS" ( Abireo Mouse works)

It doe NOT work using |SYM it defaults to version 2.1 ( Abireo Mouse Does NOT work).

Can somebody tell me what's Wrong with my setup.
Pictures of the File placement on the Hard drive D:

I have been forced to use the "X-MASS" Formatter as the Symbos one does not work (for me).

Hopefully Yours    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

rpalmer

Ray,

The |SYM command starts up symbos from the ROMs, so unless they have been updated with Albireo drivers, I doubt the version has support for it.

Rpalmer

Audronic

@rpalmer

Thanks for that .
BUT Symbos then wakes up with all the linking missing it looks like it ignores the symbos.ini file.
and as i don't have many of the older versions of various programs on the /symbos folder on the x-mass then it is functionally useless.
This has taken the best part of 2 days to even get it to this point.
A PROPER installer and a list of Version 3 apps would be helpfull..

The Formatter "XMass.exe" formats the xmass DOM, I then install symbos 3 and i am unable to get it to fully work.
if i then reboot and do a CAT of D: the says that i have NO files on the DOM, if i then run Symbos and use the commander all the files show up ??
Is this how its supposed to work ???

Ps:-   I am on a Mac and cannot reply to the Chat at the moment so "" Hi Ray back to you"

Thanks     Ray W
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

rpalmer

Ray W,

It looks like the files are hidden and wont be displayed by the CAT command.
It is possible that the commander under symbos ignores the hidden attribute to show all files?

rpalmer

Audronic

Hi Ray P

Ok thats probable.
It is not workable when the machine is used for non Symbos uses.
After formatting with the X-Mass |format and then you install Symbos 3.0--- then all the files are visible.
I think that this is the preferred method ?

Thanks for the thoughts

Ray W

Procrastinators Unite,

Prodatron

Hi Audronic,

RPalmer is right, there are currently no actual 3.0 ROMs. I renamed most of the filenames for the existing apps as well. In the past it had this APP? ? ? ? ?.EXE schema, now it's just ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?.EXE to be able to have more readable names.
I am currently compiling actual DSK, ROM and ZIP files for SymbOS 3.0.
With 3.0 I am currently in a quite tricky situation, as it could be configured for (too) many different equipped systems.
- pure 128K systems with disc drive only
- systems with 576K ram, but nothing else than a disc drive/HxC
- systems with IDE or SD card (M4Board), but no additional RAM (128K only)
- full powered CPCs (576K ram, gigabytes of IDE or SD mass storage, etc...)
The amount of preconfigured DSKs/ZIPs (+ROM) is going to overflow now for the 3.0 release. That makes it a little bit more complicated, but I hope to have this solved soon.

I am planning to do a full installer for SymbOS after the 3.0 release (like we have for the MSX since 2.1) for the CPC as well, hope it could solve this current issue.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Audronic

@Prodatron

Thanks.
I will be looking forward to the Updates.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,