News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

3 inch disks. Were they used anywhere else?

Started by Misel982001, 12:27, 18 April 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Misel982001

Dear All
I always had a question in my mind; were 3inch disks used elsewhere BESIDES the Amstrad range machines? I know that they were also used in some sythesizers (produced by AMSTRAD of course). Personally speaking, the only time I have seen a 3 inch disk in another context aside from the AMSTRAD range was in a thriller film whereas a scientist had a 3inch disk which included the genetic code of a mutant monster....!

CraigsBar

They were also used on some other 8 bit machines such as the tatung Einstein and oric atmos

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

GeoffB17

There was an early Canon computer, late 1980s, that used such a drive as well.  Prob a CP/M type machine, or even some proprietary OS?

Geoff

VincentGR

Yes, Tatung Einstein and ZX Spectrum +3 but hey, the last one is an Amstrad too  ;D
Also I am not sure if there was a 3" drive for MSX.

Bryce

There was an external dual 3in drive available for the Atari 8-bit computers too.

Bryce.

robcfg

I remember seeing an ad for a dual 3" external disk drive case for the Dragon.

Dizrythmia

The Nintendo Famicom used 3" discs, but they were given a proprietary shell, so wouldn't fit any other system.

I'm sure a Sega computer used them... maybe the SC3000?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 14:46, 18 April 17
The Nintendo Famicom used 3" discs, but they were given a proprietary shell, so wouldn't fit any other system.

Yep it did.

robcfg

The Famicom Disk system disks are Mitsumi 2.8" disks with a proprietary shell, not 3".

Misel982001

Great guys! I am gonna check all those machines! Many thanx! :D ;D ;D ;D

||C|-|E||

Quote from: Misel982001 on 12:27, 18 April 17
Personally speaking, the only time I have seen a 3 inch disk in another context aside from the AMSTRAD range was in a thriller film whereas a scientist had a 3inch disk which included the genetic code of a mutant monster....!

That would be a seriously good compression algorithm! Probably doable, though, in Stein's Gate they managed to compress all the memories inside the human brain in 36 bytes...  ;D

GeoffB17

Hmm, interesting.

Regarding the Canon machine.

I've traced a reference to the Canon Cat, a computer about 88/89, there are pics about.   Primarily a WP, but you could program on it too.

All the docs I've just found say it was a 3.5" floppy.

BUT - on the pics, it looks DAMN like the 3" drive we know (and love) from our dear Amstrads.   I don't remember ever seeing a 3.5" drive like that.   Could they tell the difference back then??

Geoff

chinnyhill10

There's a Sega system that used them. Obv the PCW and +3 and the Einstein.

External units for other micros were available in 1984 namely the BBC, Spectrum and Dragon. Any references to the MSX using 3 inch always seems to mean 3.5 inch.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

00WReX

Yes, the SEGA SC-300 had an expansion/add-on called the Super Control Station that included a 3-inch drive.

http://segaretro.org/Super_Control_Station_SF-7000

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

I knew I had posted something about this before: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/classifieds/wanted-cf2-disk-drive-asap/msg65433/#msg65433 (with links to pictures of some 3in drives)

Bryce.

MacDeath

Amstrad CPC & PCW
Amstrad built ZX Spectrum +3

ORIC Atmos

Tatung Einstein

Also some exotic uses on various japanese machines.

Some Yamaha musical devices would use them also briefly : some Synthetizers and sequencers, but they fastly switched to 3"1/2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_MDR-1

Yamaha branded 3" floppy disks... feels like the Amstrad branded MegaDrive joypad...

CraigsBar

Quote from: MacDeath on 11:38, 19 April 17
Amstrad CPC & PCW
Amstrad built ZX Spectrum +3

ORIC Atmos

Tatung Einstein

Also some exotic uses on various japanese machines.

Some Yamaha musical devices would use them also briefly : some Synthetizers and sequencers, but they fastly switched to 3"1/2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_MDR-1

Yamaha branded 3" floppy disks... feels like the Amstrad branded MegaDrive joypad...
I have a box of Tatung branded cf2 discs somewhere. Not new however. The only sealed new cf2 floppies I have now are amsoft and maxell.

amijim

This is a pure sign of goor internet usage.All this information around 3" discs in one place!This was quite a collective work.This forum really works.I am also looking for also those mentioned machines.

VincentGR

Quote from: amijim on 07:19, 20 April 17
This is a pure sign of goor internet usage.All this information around 3" discs in one place!This was quite a collective work.This forum really works.I am also looking for also those mentioned machines.

Indeed, all machines must be gathered in the first post as a list.

ZbyniuR

In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

zhulien

If it's good enough for Sega, it's good enough for Amstrad!