News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Repoker de Ases ( game pack by 4Mhz )

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 09:34, 13 February 19

Previous topic - Next topic

XeNoMoRPH

QuoteWe present you REPOKER DE ASES. The best 4MHz games, acclaimed by national and international media, gathered for the first time in a single cartridge and fully compatible with 64Kb. Enjoy hours and hours of play with pixelated graphics and chiptune melodies

PRE-ORDER for a limited time. Production restricted to 150 units. It will be attended by strict order of reservation.

ALL the info about games here: https://www.4mhz.es/repoker-de-ases/
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

jesusdelmas

I bought it!!! Its mine hehehe, nice edition

XeNoMoRPH

asertus

I understand an adapter is needed for plus/schneider, etc.., edge to centronics, isn't it?

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: asertus on 11:32, 14 February 19
I understand an adapter is needed for plus/schneider, etc.., edge to centronics, isn't it?
affirmative

mr_lou

That's a brilliant idea!!!

The list of games included seems to require 128kb though.
I don't suppose they were clever enough to include the extra 64kb in that box for CPC464 and CPC664 owners?  :)

EDIT: Apparently yes:
Quote from: Google TranslateThe two episodes of ADIÓS A LA CASTA and LOS TESORO DE QUAHÚTEMOC , for the first time, compatible with an Amstrad 64Kb. These games have been reprogrammed to use the Dandanator memory as swap memory, so that we can now have exactly the same game running on a 64Kb Amstrad. Maximum power in your CPC 464!

XeNoMoRPH

kawickboy

Funny. Let's give a chance to this new kind of physical release.

asertus

I really like this approach. It brings cartridge to all CPCs, and, still, as it includes many games and extra RAM, I consider it is very cheap compared to any new MSX cartridge sold nowadays...

What about this approach to publish #CPCRetroDev games?? @ronaldo

XeNoMoRPH

Rhino

TotO

Probably, the girl had 65 years old today...  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr_lou

Quote from: asertus on 13:23, 15 February 19
I really like this approach. It brings cartridge to all CPCs, and, still, as it includes many games and extra RAM, I consider it is very cheap compared to any new MSX cartridge sold nowadays...

I'm also totally sold in regards of having cartridge games for a standard CPC464. I find it absolutely awesome, and I'm very curious to see how it works.

But I don't agree with the price. I find it too expensive. If that's the standard price for such cartridge games (possibly due to hardware costs?), then I sadly don't think it has any future.
The only way I'd pay that amount for a cartridge like this, would be if it contained my absolute favorite CPC games - or games that were developed for this hardware expansion specifically (meaning it couldn't run on a standard CPC without this expansion).

20 Euro would be a more fitting price in my opinion, and absolute max I'd be willing to pay myself is 24 Euro. Not trying to piss anyone off. Just sharing my honest opinion.

But I hope other people disagree and will buy this. And I can't wait to see some YouTube reviews.

XeNoMoRPH

TotO

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:06, 17 February 19I'm also totally sold in regards of having cartridge games for a standard CPC464. I find it absolutely awesome, and I'm very curious to see how it works.
More or less like booting with the X-MEM on a menu, and next sellecting a couple of ROMs to play each games.

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:06, 17 February 19I don't agree with the price [...] I sadly don't think it has any future [...] would be if it contained my absolute favorite CPC games [...] or games that were developed for this hardware [...] 20 Euro would be a more fitting price
Understand about the fact that on others systems, a cardridge with only one game is usually sold 50€...
Here, you have a great deal if you can understand that is cool to support a team in exchange of a handful of good games.
I think that peoples can considerate this as a test for futures games releases using the real cartridge capatilities.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr_lou

Quote from: TotO on 10:58, 17 February 19
More or less like booting with the X-MEM on a menu, and next sellecting a couple of ROMs to play each games.

So you turn on the CPC and type some command to start the menu?

Quote from: TotO on 10:58, 17 February 19Understand about the fact that on others systems, a cartridge with only one game is usually sold 50€...

I'm not buying those either.  ;)

Quote from: TotO on 10:58, 17 February 19Here, you have a great deal if you can understand that is cool to support a team in exchange of a handful of good games.
I think that peoples can considerate this as a test for futures games releases using the real cartridge capabilities.

It's not a "great deal". But I understand what you mean. I did the same thing for 8-bit Memoirs: One "Collectors Edition" version for 17 Euro - for those who want to support the project - and get something extra in return. And a "Budget version" for only 7 Euro for everyone else. The collectors edition is not a "great deal". It's a collectors edition. The budget version is a great deal, cause you literally only pay for the material and shipping cost, and you don't pay for any "extra" stuff that doesn't mean anything to you anyway.

That 40 Euro version of this cartridge is surely also a collectors edition - and I'm sure many people will buy it. But how about a budget version for the rest of us?  :)  Something with the bare minimum needed.

robcfg

Well, 20€ would be the cost of the hardware only. Add to that soldering everything, the box, the cartridge sticker and the cost of making those games, I don't think is an overpriced product.

As the DanDanator is open hardware, you can order everything yourself and program the games into the cartridge.

In the end most probably it won't cost you much less, you wouldn't have the nice box and there wouldn't be no support for the game developers.

TotO

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:07, 17 February 19
So you turn on the CPC and type some command to start the menu?
No. You boot on the cartridge like on a firmware when ou turn on the CPC or a videogame system.

Dandare

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:06, 17 February 19
.... But I don't agree with the price. I find it too expensive. If that's the standard price for such cartridge games (possibly due to hardware costs?), then I sadly don't think it has any future.
20 Euro would be a more fitting price in my opinion, and absolute max I'd be willing to pay myself is 24 Euro. Not trying to piss anyone off. Just sharing my honest opinion.
The games would have required 4 or 5 3" disks...@6-10€ each.....  ;) . ah! Cartridge Data retention over 100 years, no more "Disc Error"
On the other hand, almost half the price goes to the CNC-Machined case, the "iPhone-like" (in terms of material, as described by 4Mhz) box and all the printed manuals.
Hardware wise, it is a "homebrew-version" of the CPC Dandanator. Same PCB, same main hardware and some components out, like the buttons. BOM is around 9-11€ and, on top of that, you need to assemble the boards.

You could probably get down to 25-30€ for a batch of over 5000 units. Sadly this is not going to happen  ::)
I really think it's worth the price 4mhz is asking for it.

(BTW, CPC Dandanator is a royalty-free public domain project. Anyone can built their own carts).

mr_lou

Quote from: Dandare on 14:24, 18 February 19
The games would have required 4 or 5 3" disks...@6-10€ each.....  ;)

Not buying those either.  ;)
No one here disagrees that the price of a disk is ridiculous. So it's not the best comparison.

But as I said; I hope I'm wrong and that a lot of people will buy this.
We may express a lot of interest on the forum, and be eager to see new projects like this, but when it comes to buying, not so much. Everyone prove me wrong. I double dare you.  ;)

It's not that I don't support dev teams. I've donated plenty to devs who've made games that I've enjoyed.

asertus

Hardware wise, it is a "homebrew-version" of the CPC Dandanator. Same PCB, same main hardware and some components out, like the buttons.

And, about the software. I understand it will not have the issue of pre-patched cpc-dandanator, will it?

Dandare

Quote from: mr_lou on 14:35, 18 February 19

No one here disagrees that the price of a disk is ridiculous. So it's not the best comparison.
Everyone prove me wrong. I double dare you.  ;)

I reckon comparing it to disks is the only valid comparison. No other method of physical delivery for long games available (tape is not an option). Nevertheless it was just a comparison vs. buying the games in the standard distribution format.

Some stats up to date:
- 130-135 payments/reservations out of 150 in 3-4 days. (guestimate, last real data I got from 4Mhz was 120 yesterday morning I believe).
- 178 out of 178 CPC Dandanators Sold (and over 50 users wanting another one).

Proved wrong already?  ;D

It's a very nice set of games, in a very professionally made package. Totally worth the price :) . This said, I fully understand not everybody would want it.

Dandare

Quote from: asertus on 15:20, 18 February 19

And, about the software. I understand it will not have the issue of pre-patched cpc-dandanator, will it?
All boards up to date :D

mr_lou

Quote from: Dandare on 15:31, 18 February 19Some stats up to date:
- 130-135 payments/reservations out of 150 in 3-4 days. (guestimate, last real data I got from 4Mhz was 120 yesterday morning I believe).
- 178 out of 178 CPC Dandanators Sold (and over 50 users wanting another one).

That is awesome! I did not expect that. Very cool indeed!
That's definitely a success. Congratulations.

I hope that means we'll be seeing more cartridge releases in the future.

Rhino

The games would have required 4 or 5 3" disks...@6-10€ each.....  ;) .
In Batman Forever and PD we use our own disc format, with 43 tracks and 10 sectors of 512 bytes per track, approximately 215kb for each side or 430kb for each 3" disk.
Taking advantage of the disk in this way, 5 disks would result in 2150kb approx.

In any case, I think your cartridge is a great idea especially for making games or tools that make direct use of all the memory, rather than using such capacity as if it were a storage drive.