News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Galaxy & Zen80 boards

Started by Duke, 06:45, 23 June 18

Previous topic - Next topic

remax

Quote from: Duke on 13:29, 28 June 18
Probably about 320KB + 64KB baseram = 384KB total, maybe I can spare another 64 KB. Will see in the end how much is left.
FDC + disk drive will not be firmware compatible with gotek/flashfloppy/hxc, as it's very different implementation on the FDC level. No display (don't have any spare gpio).
WiFi for network, USB (wireless) for Keyboard & mouse.

How would it be plugged in the GX4000 ? Internally or Externally ?
Brain Radioactivity

Duke

Quote from: remax on 09:35, 29 June 18

How would it be plugged in the GX4000 ? Internally or Externally ?

It is mounted internally. I updated the first post with pictures of this.
First the Z80 cpu is unplugged, then you plug it into the galaxy board and the galaxy board into the z80 socket on the motherboard.

tjohnson

Got to say this is an excellent and exciting project for the amstrad community!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

MikeSDK

Quote from: Duke on 14:13, 29 June 18
It is mounted internally. I updated the first post with pictures of this.
First the Z80 cpu is unplugged, then you plug it into the galaxy board and the galaxy board into the z80 socket on the motherboard.

I am of course intrigued, but I have a burning question: could you mount this internally in a regular 6128 as well or would it be too cramped with the keyboard right above it?

Duke

Quote from: MikeSDK on 14:35, 09 July 18
I am of course intrigued, but I have a burning question: could you mount this internally in a regular 6128 as well or would it be too cramped with the keyboard right above it?

It probably could (I did not check yet). I am worried the metalplate from the keyboard will impact the WiFi signal too much. It remains to be tested, as of now it sits in my 464, with wires all over so I am not testing it until I am done with debugging.

bazza_666

Want one!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skunkfish

Very excited by this. Would it be controllable via a web interface like the M4 board? Fancy using my mobile phone as a .DSK/cart image selector...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Duke

Quote from: Skunkfish on 21:44, 09 July 18
Very excited by this. Would it be controllable via a web interface like the M4 board? Fancy using my mobile phone as a .DSK/cart image selector...
Yup, similar to M4.

Phantomz

@Duke

Nice work  8)

Looking forward to getting one of these in the future if you release them.  :)

Will it work ok with the C4CPC cart plugged in, I mean will they both work ok together, also what about the power supply needed, I know people needed o get a new power supply if they use the C4CPC in a GX4000.

ASiC

@Phantomz
Either you have a C4CPC or not, get rid off that nasty PSU and get yourself a new one!

Lots of GXs had died a painful death because of that piece of crap!

Phantomz

Quote from: ASiC on 17:35, 10 July 18
@Phantomz
Either you have a C4CPC or not, get rid off that nasty PSU and get yourself a new one!

Lots of GXs had died a painful death because of that piece of crap!

@ASiC

I've got a good power supply from RS Components for my GX4000 as soon as I got my C4CPC.

I'm asking if this new board might need a better supply than the original one for people that haven't got a C4CPC.

I'm also asking if this new board and the c4cpc will work ok together.

I hope that clears things up a little.  :D

Duke

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:20, 10 July 18
@Duke

Nice work  8)

Looking forward to getting one of these in the future if you release them.  :)

Will it work ok with the C4CPC cart plugged in, I mean will they both work ok together, also what about the power supply needed, I know people needed o get a new power supply if they use the C4CPC in a GX4000.

Thanks. Yes it will work with C4CPC - at last I have one so I can test it!
A proper powersupply for GX4000 will be needed yes, I use a 5V 2A.

keith56

Sounds like a great bit of kit, and will allow all the GX4000 owners to have the equivalent of a 6128+, which will be great for software developers like me who use DSK, and don't want to support 64k!

I know it's a stretch, but if it WERE possible to support a faster processor this would give a big performance boost to people with the V9990 external GPU, on my game, the 6mhz MSX saw a 33% speed increase, and the R800 had over 100% faster speed compared to the regular 4mhz MSX.

Really amazing stuff!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Gryzor

Duke

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:16, 23 August 18
No news? :)
Gah sorry missed that :)
  No (well some but I can hardly remember where I was), too much real life stuff been going on, be back at it soon !

GUNHED

Well, since these new boards can emulate RAM and ROM ... Could it be doable to speed up the Z80 (and RAM and ROM access) to 8 Mhz or more? Of course the access of V-RAM (first 64 KB) would still need to run at 4 MHz in case they wont make more.

The GA, PSG, FDC, PIO all work with up to 6 MHz (in my case).

More power can't be a sin  ;)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Duke

Quote from: GUNHED on 15:07, 24 October 18
Well, since these new boards can emulate RAM and ROM ... Could it be doable to speed up the Z80 (and RAM and ROM access) to 8 Mhz or more? Of course the access of V-RAM (first 64 KB) would still need to run at 4 MHz in case they wont make more.
I'll see what I can do when I resume the project. In theory you could use the ARM z80 emu (without syncing to the mb) in expanded mem at probably 50 times or more than the normal speed , but for the real z80 chip to see the new register values at return, memory reads from expanded mem would be needed (pops in usual speed).
There's some other option also to considerate.

GUNHED

Well, if you need a person to test the upcoming hardware, then let me know. I got a new unused GX4000 here just waiting to see the sun of sense coming up.  :) :) :)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Duke

Quote from: GUNHED on 16:40, 26 December 18
Well, if you need a person to test the upcoming hardware, then let me know. I got a new unused GX4000 here just waiting to see the sun of sense coming up.  :) :) :)

Thanks. Starting get some energy and motivation back to continue the work on this, but right now I had a "great" idea for the M4 board, which I am gonna finish first :)

GUNHED

Yes, it's always better to finish things. Else it's easy to get lost with everything  ;) :)

genesis8

I know you dont work much at the moment on it as you stated on spinpoint, but I am one more person to be very interested. The M4 is actually on my 6128+, the external version would replace it nicely, and the M4 would go to a 6128 soon connected on my main TV.

Fabrizio Radica

Hi Duke!
Want one!!!!!! :D
Your are the best :)

00WReX

Thought I'd keep this thread alive...

Hey Duke, has any progress or thought been given to this project lately.

I still think this would be super cool, but totally understand that this would be (another) time consuming project.
And no doubt you already have plenty on the go already, and life itself is busy enough...but I can dream can't I  :D

Cheers,
Shane

The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Duke

Hi Shane,

Sorry, there has been no progress for a long time on this project. I don't wanna declare it dead yet, but it is close.
If I suddenly had a lot of time and energy I would pick it up again and re-design the hardware to make the software part easier :)

Quote from: 00WReX on 01:45, 31 January 20
Thought I'd keep this thread alive...

Hey Duke, has any progress or thought been given to this project lately.

I still think this would be super cool, but totally understand that this would be (another) time consuming project.
And no doubt you already have plenty on the go already, and life itself is busy enough...but I can dream can't I  :D

Cheers,
Shane

GUNHED

Hi Duke! Yes, time is always a limiting factor - sadly. But thanks for not abandon it. This is a great project and maybe next year you can continue. It would be absolutely great.
Of course I (we) totally understand that such things have to 'grow' in mind and imagination too. And it's better to wait longer and get something working instead of a 'quick shot'.

That's also the great thing about the M4 - it just works!  :) :) :)