News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Game On 2.0 expo, Athens, Greece

Started by Gryzor, 11:10, 11 January 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys!

Last week I visited the Game On computing expo here in Athens. It wasn't that spectacular, but let's just say that some of the exhibits would have me breaking and entering in the middle of the night...

I thought I'd share some photos with you:

http://picasaweb.google.com/krakout/GameOnV20?authkey=Gv1sRgCKexwde15pzvpgE#

robcfg

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them!

By the way... are you in one of these pictures? just curiosity, hehehe  :D

MacDeath

Honestly, the chick used to be better in the past...

today she looks like Demis Roussos...

ervin

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:10, 11 January 11
Hello guys!

Last week I visited the Game On computing expo here in Athens. It wasn't that spectacular, but let's just say that some of the exhibits would have me breaking and entering in the middle of the night...

I thought I'd share some photos with you:

http://picasaweb.google.com/krakout/GameOnV20?authkey=Gv1sRgCKexwde15pzvpgE#

Great photos dude.

The Game On expo was in Melbourne, Australia, 2 years or so ago.
I live in Adelaide, South Australia, and I took a flight to Melbourne and spent a whole day at the expo.
It was absolutely brilliant!

The first game I played was the sit-down cabinet of Star Wars.
Wow - I remember the very first time I played that game, over 25 years ago.
It was awesome to experience it again, in it's original form.

It was kind of strange - I "experienced" the expo very differently to how a lot of younger visitors would have experienced it. I soaked up the nostalgia, and played a heck of a lot of retro games.
But I also spent a lot of time playing Gradius V and Rez, which were both absolutely outstanding, particularly Rez.

I wish there were more retro gaming expos within reasonable distance from where I live...

Bryce

Ok, now I'm confused, is that a picture of Gryzor? Cos' it looks very like MacDeaths Icon picture.

Bryce.

MacDeath

I don't look greek, I have far less fur. >:(

Bryce

Hard to tell in a small icon picture with mode 0 colours. :)

Bryce.

redbox

Quote from: MacDeath on 12:34, 11 January 11
Honestly, the chick used to be better in the past...
today she looks like Demis Roussos...

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!  :)

Gryzor

Thanks for the nice comments, mateys...

@rob et al.: I'm the one with the short hair and the brown leather jacket!
@MacDeath: yeah, seventies' chicks were far better!
@Ervin: Unfortunately there was lots of PS3 and XBox gaming around, which I couldn't care less about: I have one in my living room, I can check it out there... and the whole expo seemed a bit... thrown together in a hurry, by people who do not *feel* it. Still, the retro section was really great, and I got to play that two-player sit-down racing game (argh... too much headache, can't remember the name, but it's in the pics) that I used to play with my girlfriend (now wife) in the early-mid nighties, after lessons... bliss =)

Btw, the first time I saw a Space Wars cab was in the excellent movie, Soylent Green. Anyone remembers it? One of the rich residents had a cab in his living room - it had so much wow factor and it looked so futuristic! I think it's the most beautiful cab ever built...

MacDeath

Quoteyeah, seventies' chicks were far better!
they also used to have a lot of fur according to retro-por.... errr...

documentaries on the exciting life in the 70's... :-[

Gryzor

Yes they did. But I think you gt accustomed to what you get ;D

Amstari

Quote from: ervin on 13:02, 11 January 11
I wish there were more retro gaming expos within reasonable distance from where I live...

Hi Erin, I'm in Adelaide too. This year Avcon (Adelaide Anime & Video Game Convention) is having a retro theme. Maybe they might be interested in having some CPCs on display.

ervin

Fantastic! Thanks for the heads up.
I've missed it every year so far, much to my annoyance.
But with a retro theme, I'll absolutely have to go to it this year!

Bryce

@Gryzor, ok now we know which one you are, the next question: Were you the only two people at the entire exhibition? Or did you just turn up a 6:30 in the morning before anyone else got there?

Bryce.

MacDeath

Well, you know, Hellenicos spartans are burning cops in the street and getting ambassy bombed, they can'"t be everywhere.
:laugh:

Sorry for the troll.

Gryzor

Heh... we went there on Jan. the 2nd, so naturally not too many people... and I was careful to take 'clean' shots. I really liked the girls around our age who obviously were playing these arcades back in the day and relived them now again, not without some shyness... =)

MacDeath

A girl played Arcade.... :-[
This joystick, those buttons... arg...geez...in...my...pants... ;D :laugh:

Were there some Amstrad CPC at the expo ?

If not, you could have make a donation perhaps...

QuoteGame On computing expo
Is it an international exhibition ?
Got some links ?

Gryzor

I think it is an international, moving expo. No Amstrads (boooooh!) but we had made a local expo ourselves a couple of years back and I had filled my car with old computers to show off ... :)

fano

"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Gryzor