News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Quiz: name that game! (please)

Started by boyflea, 15:19, 12 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

boyflea

Hello,
I'm Dave and have selfishly come to this forum to find an answer to a question:-

I practically lived on my big-brother's CPC playing games after school, listening to my big brother's records; 'Graceland' was always being played.
One game played a lot was one that had an impressive title screen - something to show off to my speccy-owning friends.

I am looking for a space game that had a spectacular intro screen - and not a lot else, tbh.
- The main screen showed you as stationed above a 3D planet that rotated in real-time below you.
- The game itself was a vertical shoot-'em-up that had frustrating pixel-perfect gaps you needed to fly through.

I am looking to reunite the soundtrack of Paul Simon with this game so I can remind my big brother and cheer him up as he works in a factory churning out medical stuff, working overtime at the moment. Please can anyone tell me the name of this game. I believe it was a budget title, but Mastertronic and Firebird don't seem to fit.

+10 Karma and a 'Get-off-of-Targ' card for the first correct answer.
thanks dudes.
I never had a C64 or a Speccy: I had a Ti-99/4a and access to my big brother's Amstrad CPC. I was that child/teen. In later life I've made games as a living, and my CPC claim to fame is working alongside 'Oh Mummy' developer, Daren White.

mahlemiut

Sounds like Xcel, by Mastertronic if I remember right,

https://cpcrulez.fr/GamesTest/x-cel.htm
- Barry Rodewald

boyflea

awesome! that is spot on! thankyou so much!

I never had a C64 or a Speccy: I had a Ti-99/4a and access to my big brother's Amstrad CPC. I was that child/teen. In later life I've made games as a living, and my CPC claim to fame is working alongside 'Oh Mummy' developer, Daren White.

Gryzor

robcfg

Interesting effect indeed!

Bryce

I'm pretty sure I owned that on cassette, but as it's no longer in my collection, @Shaun M. Neary probably has it as he has most of my old cassettes.

Bryce.

boyflea

Thanks again! It is a rough game, but that intro was inspirational: a real 'how did they do that' moment :D
Technically amazing, even if the game itself was completely forgettable.
Any other commercial games like this - had an amazing technical bit, not crap shoot-em-up bit  :D - spring to mind?

Nich

Quote from: boyflea on 13:04, 14 April 20
Any other commercial games like this - had an amazing technical bit, not crap shoot-em-up bit  :D - spring to mind?

Yes. Explorer claimed to offer 40 billion locations and could generate landscapes on the fly - although they looked rather Spectrum-like. The thing is, the development team (The RamJam Corporation) put so much effort into their procedural generation techniques that they seem to have forgotten to actually include a playable game as well. :laugh:

Targhan

Then don't forget about Sapiens or Sentinel, both technical achievements, and amazing games.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

boyflea

;) thanks for the replies! Explorer looks interesting: the Fallout 76 of it's day it seems (big empty world)
Sapiens looks very odd and Sentinel: dare I say it - I loved the look of this game but never understood it.
cheers dudes!

Nich

Quote from: boyflea on 21:00, 15 April 20
;) thanks for the replies! Explorer looks interesting: the Fallout 76 of it's day it seems (big empty world)

No Man's Sky might be a better comparison, although I admit I've never played that game.

QuoteSapiens looks very odd and Sentinel: dare I say it - I loved the look of this game but never understood it.

I never got the hang of Sapiens but Sentinel was quite enthralling for a while once I understood what I was doing - which really isn't that difficult!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 12:18, 13 April 20
I'm pretty sure I owned that on cassette, but as it's no longer in my collection, @Shaun M. Neary probably has it as he has most of my old cassettes.

Bryce.
No sir, Xcel wasn't one I received from you although I did have a good chunk of Mastertronic titles from you.

I actually bought that one back in 87 on budget. Tough as nails!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?