News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New guy

Started by Madlax, 16:55, 10 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Madlax

Hello,

The Amstrad CPC 464 was my first computer back when I was 13 years old in 1985. I am very much into retro computing these days and focused mainly on the Commodore systems from VIC 20 up to Amiga. I recently picked up a 464 on eBay and its parts are currently drying on my workbench. It was generally speaking in good shape but very filthy. I think a new lifeform was evolving underneath those keycaps  :D  Oh, and the keyboard was bent.

Looking forward to putting it all back together. I am using a Scart cable and an upscaler connecting it to an LCD. The image looked great when I turned it on. Definitely better than what you get out of a stock 8 bit Commodore.

I also ordered a DDI 5 from Zaxon. He should be shipping it out early next week. It will probably take a couple of weeks to arrive.

Are there any mods or expansions I should be looking at? I am not doing destructive mods tho. So drilling a hole for an audio input jack is out of the question  :P  I think one of those ROMboard expansions would be great to have. I do burn EPROMs regularly for my Commodore's, so I should be able to create them for the CPC as well.

It's a great machine. I am super psyched trying all the things I didn't have or even knew about in the 80s. It was tough for me and my buddy back then to get software. All those pesky C64 owners seemed to be getting a bazillion new games every week. Anyway, we are all friends now  :D 

Cheers!
Sascha

VintageAdvantage

Welcome! So, you are (and were?) in the US when you were 13, and the CPC was your first computer? Where / how did you get it? The machine was literally unknown here. Curious!

teopl

Hello!

I am 2-3 years into retro (also back to my favorite CPC machine). Now I am using M4 board from Duke and Symbiface3 card from tmtlogic and I am very happy with both.
(specially the SF3 card which is still in development and has many nice features except the wifi like: mp3 and stream playback on separate sound output, additional memory, usb/sd card, mouse support, ...) Don't get me wrong, M4 has it's own goodies some of which I still didn't try (like the hack menu) plus it's smaller in size.
yeah and also I am using spinpoint imperium solo for connecting mouse or modern game controllers.

I am also wondering what else should I get so any recommendation is welcome :)

mr_lou

Madlax

Quote from: teopl on 19:21, 10 July 20
Hello!

I am 2-3 years into retro (also back to my favorite CPC machine). Now I am using M4 board from Duke and Symbiface3 card from tmtlogic and I am very happy with both.
(specially the SF3 card which is still in development and has many nice features except the wifi like: mp3 and stream playback on separate sound output, additional memory, usb/sd card, mouse support, ...) Don't get me wrong, M4 has it's own goodies some of which I still didn't try (like the hack menu) plus it's smaller in size.
yeah and also I am using spinpoint imperium solo for connecting mouse or modern game controllers.

I am also wondering what else should I get so any recommendation is welcome :)

Oh boy! You just gave me a whole bunch of things I need to read up on! Thank you!