News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Retro Rant - Gaming Review Youtube Channel

Started by manossg, 08:24, 17 May 20

Previous topic - Next topic

manossg

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:19, 03 August 20
Am I the only one who liked it (VERY much) on my STFM back in the day?

IIRC, Gods was both a critical and a commercial success and I believe that the ST had a very solid version. The Mega Drive port, otoh... :picard:

Did you manage to get any distance in it?

norecess464

Ahhh, the Gods game reminds me the good old Demoniak 4 discmag.. nostalgia!  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34Sg7rCbxg
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

manossg

Quote from: norecess on 14:49, 03 August 20
Ahhh, the Gods game reminds me the good old Demoniak 4 discmag.. nostalgia!  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34Sg7rCbxg

Am I getting too greedy if I confess that I dreamed of a CPC port for a moment there?

Gryzor

Quote from: manossg on 14:42, 03 August 20

IIRC, Gods was both a critical and a commercial success and I believe that the ST had a very solid version. The Mega Drive port, otoh... :picard:

Did you manage to get any distance in it?

Yeah, actually I did get quite far. It was hard, but back then I found it was a great combo of action and exploration, and of course the visuals were sweeeeet. As for the music... let's just say I was late more than a few times for school because I booted the game just to listen to it!

Otto

Quote from: manossg on 17:40, 03 August 20

Am I getting too greedy if I confess that I dreamed of a CPC port for a moment there?
In particular when we look at @ComSoft6128 's great article including video here: Food for my Plus volume 2

... at some time in the video we see the CPCplus artist importing or converting a series of those nice graphics from the game "Gods" into his CPCplus. Half the horizontal resolution, but same palette, and looks great.

I think a port of "Gods" from Atari ST to CPCplus should well be possible. Thanks to the CPCplus' hardware scrolling and hardware sprites it could maybe run smoother than on the ST which always lacked hardware scrolling and sprites.

Gryzor

Well it would have to use quite a lot of space though...

ComSoft6128

Guessing here but I imagine a cart would have more than enough space.

Otto

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 10:00, 04 August 20
Guessing here but I imagine a cart would have more than enough space.
How many KBytes does a cartridge for the CPCplus series hold? I don't seem to find the info in the cool CPCwiki at the moment.

ComSoft6128

manossg

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:55, 04 August 20
Yeah, actually I did get quite far. It was hard, but back then I found it was a great combo of action and exploration, and of course the visuals were sweeeeet. As for the music... let's just say I was late more than a few times for school because I booted the game just to listen to it!

Cool, I didn't even reach the first boss bitd and it's a pity, because then you get a password and you can start to have fun and experiment with weapons, which adds to the fun factor a lot.

Even though it has a few flaws which can be off-putting, I am grateful that I can appreciate this great game now!

(while listening to the Atari ST version of the music...wow, is that the AY?!?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxIWg3Tn7As

manossg

Quote from: Otto on 09:38, 04 August 20
In particular when we look at @ComSoft6128 's great article including video here: Food for my Plus volume 2

... at some time in the video we see the CPCplus artist importing or converting a series of those nice graphics from the game "Gods" into his CPCplus. Half the horizontal resolution, but same palette, and looks great.

I think a port of "Gods" from Atari ST to CPCplus should well be possible. Thanks to the CPCplus' hardware scrolling and hardware sprites it could maybe run smoother than on the ST which always lacked hardware scrolling and sprites.

* manossg drooling

Gryzor

Quote from: manossg on 12:39, 04 August 20wow, is that the AY?!?

Yup, and not even on a fancy-pants STe wits its DMA. The ST could output much better sound that is generally believed...

...ahhh and now I'm listening to it again.

Otto

Quote from: manossg on 12:39, 04 August 20
(while listening to the Atari ST version of the music...wow, is that the AY?!?)
The British musician, the late Richard Joseph, used samples (or is it one sample containing all the music?) for the Atari ST version, derived from his Amiga four channel sample sound. So it's not straight AY sound but needs (a lot of) CPU power to do samples on the AY. But still it sounds cool, and that's the point.

Another great ST soundtrack you find in Turrican II for the Atari ST. Here the German musician Jochen Hippel mixes pure AY sound with AY samples to bring Chris Hülsbeck's Amiga four channel samples to the ST. I think during the title he uses sample sounds which need (a lot of) CPU power to do on the AY, and for the in-game music he uses pure AY sound which cost hardly CPU cycles.

So much from memory...

manossg

For this time we have Metaphobia, a 2019 point'n'click adventure game made with AGS, that tries to pay tribute to classic adventure games and fails, because....well, watch this spoiler-free review and find out!

https://youtu.be/RwlWpJAK7kQ

Gryzor

Fails because...?? I watched all the video and what I got from it is I must go and download it :D

manossg

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:30, 10 August 20
Fails because...?? I watched all the video and what I got from it is I must go and download it :D

It fails because it surpasses the games it pays tribute to!  8)

Gryzor

Ahhhh...

Ok, downloaded. It really does look pretty.

manossg

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:38, 10 August 20
Ahhhh...

Ok, downloaded. It really does look pretty.

Have fun! I don't know if you're into them point'n'clicks, but it's a fantastic game!

Gryzor

Yes I love them, it's lack of time that kills it for me though... Last one I've played was Thimbleweed Park...

manossg

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:51, 10 August 20
Yes I love them, it's lack of time that kills it for me though... Last one I've played was Thimbleweed Park...

I feel your pain, bro.

Thimbleweed Park...pure awesomeness! Trying to find the time to complete it again!

Gryzor

It was amazing really, both as a game and a retro bout of nostalgia. I played it in the evenings after work with my wife over a week and we had such a fantastic time!

manossg

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:28, 10 August 20
It was amazing really, both as a game and a retro bout of nostalgia. I played it in the evenings after work with my wife over a week and we had such a fantastic time!

Should be heaps of fun to play with your SO, unfortunately mine wouldn't get the 80ies nerd references.

Gryzor

Hey well she's an 80s child and grew up with Atari, Sega and PC adventuring, so...

manossg

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:47, 10 August 20
Hey well she's an 80s child and grew up with Atari, Sega and PC adventuring, so...

Yeah, that's one of the bad points about TP, it is chock full of 80ies references and can be enjoyed to the full only by those who understand them. A pity, since it could be an excellent introduction to adventure games for younger audiences (it also has an easy setting which is perfect for that).

Metaphobia, otoh, has only one (at least I couldn't find more) reference to other games (will not spoil it, but it is a ridiculous puzzle that has to do with...hair), it has mostly art references understandable by almost everybody, so I think it is better than TP for introducing new people to the joy that is adventure gaming.

manossg

For this episode, another venerated Amiga game gets the retro rant treatment. This time it is Myth, by System 3. Is it truly a gem or is it a stinker?

https://youtu.be/mMEeV4rKP6s