News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCRetroDev 2020

Started by CPCRetroDev, 18:23, 13 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:53, 13 August 20
see the level of detail and lovely pixel aesthetics.
Yes, 320×200 pixels with four colours allows highly aesthetic graphics for games and demos. Always loved that on our CPC. Maybe we can get this Twitter video in a higher resolution?

Gryzor

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:04, 27 July 20
I think CPCRetroDev is pretty self-sufficient and self-sponsored. I don't think much could be done in the way of 'sponsoring' it.

I think the suggestion was to have the CPCWiki represent BASIC entries made into the competition.

The trouble is do you draw a line somewhere, for instance would it have to be 100% BASIC, or a mix of Machine Code/BASIC or a library such as 8BP?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

mr_lou

Quote from: AMSDOS on 23:02, 13 August 20I think the suggestion was to have the CPCWiki represent BASIC entries made into the competition.

There's something really cosy about making a game in BASIC I think. And I remember in the beginning there actually was a separate award for best BASIC game in the CPCretrodev competition - but only 2-3 entries was submitted in that category.

A BASIC game generally just can't win when competing with games compiled with Assembler or C. So a separate award should be there, for "Best game done in BASIC" just like IGM awards the best music. And it seems obvious (to me) that CPCWiki should give this award...  like € 50 EUR or so.

Quote from: AMSDOS on 23:02, 13 August 20The trouble is do you draw a line somewhere, for instance would it have to be 100% BASIC, or a mix of Machine Code/BASIC or a library such as 8BP?

This is true. I think it would have to be 100% BASIC. (That was also the requirement back when CPCretrodev gave out the award, as far as I remember).
I know there are many BASIC libraries available nowadays, but that would be "cheating" imho.
A 100% BASIC game is a category, bringing back some "old" nostalgia, in my opinion. Using any of the newer libs could also be another category though.....

skylas

I also agree that BASIC category should include only simple BASIC (no lbraries etc.). That means a file of ". BAS"
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

reidrac

I may be wrong on this, but wasn't the "BASIC only" category removed because they didn't have enough entries?

That doesn't mean CPCWiki can't have a "BASIC only" compo any time. There are few initiatives like this already, and they have more or less success.

For example, Bytemaniacos has organised a few BASIC contests for the speccy since 2003, last one is here: http://www.bytemaniacos.com/?page_id=3639 It had "pure" and "compiled" categories, and there was a good number of entries.

Anyway; just saying that the world doesn't end on the CPCRetroDev (although it is clear it has a lot of attention).
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

eto

I would have an entry for the Basic category :-) .BAS only, no machine code.

I loved to deal with the limitations and make sure calculations are done when it's not harming the user experience. This could be a great category but I understand also that there will not be enough entries for the category.

skylas

I think i had the only ".BAS" entries for the last 2 years. I believe that if organizers see many of these entries this year, this may increase the interest. Happy that Eto will have another Basic entry! I will be there too.
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

CPCRetroDev

Big news! Gee-k.net is giving the "Best Game with Multiplayer Option" award with an amount of 100€! We can't wait to play these games!

See more info: http://cpcretrodev.byterealms.com/cpcretrodev-2020/
Official account of the CPCRetroDev contest organized by the University of Alicante (UA).

AMSDOS

I put together a few of the threads I've made or contributed in, where BASIC was used:-

* Silly Programming Ideas - Turning Text into Graphics - A Bits and Pieces thread full of BASIC, Assembly and MC Stuff.

* BASIC Shoot-em-up Engine - Correcting an ACU 10-Liner.

* Maze Generator - Some of my examples of constructing a Maze with BASIC.

* Study of 464 Only Game Helicopter / Destination Saturn from ACU. - I disected this large BASIC game, so the levels become individual games, if someone was looking to play on an idea out of this game.

* Collision Detection - some of my later examples in this thread look at how characters respond, which are also useful in other games.

* BASIC Platform Demostration - trying to understand writing platform game with other examples along the way.

* My BASIC Simple Platform Game w/ Alternative Sprite Drivers - The early examples in this thread are fully BASIC, the 2nd example where I try to use Multicoloured Graphics using BASIC is using a slower version to place the various colours in a 8x8 redefined character block though.

* Multicoloured Graphics in BASIC discuss. - The 2nd example in this thread demonstrates what seems to be the fastest way to printing Multicoloured Graphics in BASIC,  using a method that's compatable within all CPC BASICs.

Your Computer Programs

CPCRetroDev

One more year Blast Annual is giving the award for "Best Opera Prima" with an amount of 50 euros!
Is there anyone here who has never made a game? Cause this is the moment.

Official account of the CPCRetroDev contest organized by the University of Alicante (UA).

eto

Quote from: CPCRetroDev on 15:19, 18 August 20
One more year Blast Annual is giving the award for "Best Opera Prima" with an amount of 50 euros!
Is there anyone here who has never made a game? Cause this is the moment.

Never means "never ever in my life on any machine"? (which probably would be the equivalent of "never touched a programming language" as probably everybody at least coded some simple dice game or similar easy games)

mr_lou

Logically - in my opinion anyway - it would just be "first on Amstrad CPC".
But I dunno.

CPCRetroDev

Quote from: eto on 15:37, 18 August 20
Never means "never ever in my life on any machine"? (which probably would be the equivalent of "never touched a programming language" as probably everybody at least coded some simple dice game or similar easy games)

Well, according to the award, the requirement for the prize is that it is the first published game.
Remember that the goal of this contest is to be a learning environment for students, future game developers, and people interested in learning more about the machine, and for most of them this will be their first published game.

However, Blast Annual is the one who evaluates and gives the prize, so they will be the ones who consider if it is the first one in general, the first one for the Amstrad CPC or the first one submited to the CPCRetroDev and the conditions of these possible "little" games already published.
If they specify more, we will update the information on the website.

skylas

As we are reaching the contest, is anyone from the forum preparing a game? any progress or ideas?
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

ervin

I've been working hard on something.
Hopefully I can finish it!

mr_lou

As I kinda anticipated, I sadly haven't had time to do anything with my BASIC game project. As usual I envy all of you who manage to find time to do these projects.

Maybe next year.  :blank:

Arnaud

Seems ok to finish my game, certainly because i have got some help this year.

awergh

Currently working on a game, I had a bit of a dip in productivity where I was being indecisive.
Once I made my decisions though I was back on track.
Somehow I don't expect to submit with much time to spare, but who needs sleep when you can do it the next day :P

ervin

Quote from: Arnaud on 07:51, 25 September 20
Seems ok to finish my game, certainly because i have got some help this year.

Really looking forward to seeing your game.
You always develop great games.

ervin

Quote from: awergh on 08:13, 25 September 20
Currently working on a game, I had a bit of a dip in productivity where I was being indecisive.
Once I made my decisions though I was back on track.
Somehow I don't expect to submit with much time to spare, but who needs sleep when you can do it the next day :P

I've had some big technical challenges with my game, which have significantly delayed the project.
I've had to cut back on some features as a result.
Hopefully I can make it interesting to play...

I have managed to get a subtle rotational scroll happening (kind of like Nebulus but not as "rounded"). That was very tricky.
It was more "rounded" at first, but it made tile printing (the engine is tile-based) extremely tricky, because of all the real-time bit shifting I had to do to print tiles across byte boundaries. Absolute nightmare. The new less "rounded" scroll still does some of that, but much less, as I had to reconfigure it to meet byte boundaries as much as possible. There are still a number of tiles that have to cross byte boundaries though, but in the end I had to pick whether I wanted rounded but slow rotational scrolling, or less rounded but fast. I chose fast.

Another challenge was making a proper wraparound level, where objects, sprites and even collision detection work across the 256-byte boundary.
That is, the moment when your character goes from x-position 255 back to 0 because of 8-bit variables.
Vertical scrolling can wraparound as well in this engine, but my game won't wraparound the y-position.
The map is 256x256 tiles, and the player can go almost anywhere in it, but only horizontal scrolling wraps around.
It's working really well, but it took a lot of time to get it right.

Hoping to put up a short video of it soon, once I get some terrible programmer graphics in.

awergh

Quote from: ervin on 08:29, 25 September 20

Really looking forward to seeing your game.
You always develop great games.

Thanks  ;D

Quote from: ervin on 08:32, 25 September 20I've had some big technical challenges with my game, which have significantly delayed the project. I've had to cut back on some features as a result. Hopefully I can make it interesting to play... I have managed to get a subtle rotational scroll happening (kind of like Nebulus but not as "rounded"). That was very tricky. It was more "rounded" at first, but it made tile printing (the engine is tile-based) extremely tricky, because of all the real-time bit shifting I had to do to print tiles across byte boundaries. Absolute nightmare. The new less "rounded" scroll still does some of that, but much less, as I had to reconfigure it to meet byte boundaries as much as possible. There are still a number of tiles that have to cross byte boundaries though, but in the end I had to pick whether I wanted rounded but slow rotational scrolling, or less rounded but fast. I chose fast. Another challenge was making a proper wraparound level, where objects, sprites and even collision detection work across the 256-byte boundary. That is, the moment when your character goes from x-position 255 back to 0 because of 8-bit variables. Vertical scrolling can wraparound as well in this engine, but my game won't wraparound the y-position. The map is 256x256 tiles, and the player can go almost anywhere in it, but only horizontal scrolling wraps around. It's working really well, but it took a lot of time to get it right. Hoping to put up a short video of it soon, once I get some terrible programmer graphics in.

I do really like the Nebulus effect so I look forward to your own inspired rotational scroll thing.

AMSDOS

Quote from: skylas on 01:04, 25 September 20
As we are reaching the contest, is anyone from the forum preparing a game? any progress or ideas?

Not looking likely myself while I'm still working on a Lanugage. A lot of the string conversion stuff I wrote earlier has been a lengthy process of coding to ROM, I made some small improvements to the Language with parameter passing and handling larger numbers, though I need to do further work on IF..ENDIF and WHILE..WEND.

Your Computer Programs

skylas

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:19, 25 September 20
As I kinda anticipated, I sadly haven't had time to do anything with my BASIC game project. As usual I envy all of you who manage to find time to do these projects.

Maybe next year.  :blank:
Dont worry! There will be more competitions in the future to participate! :)
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

mr_lou

Quote from: skylas on 11:12, 25 September 20
Dont worry! There will be more competitions in the future to participate! :)

True.
However, I think it would probably be more productive to find someone else on the forum who'd love to take over some of these BASIC projects of mine.
Tried that already in the past though, with another project, and there were no takers on that.